This week: The Big Book of King Cake, recipes, cookbook previews and moreJanuary 14, 2022 by Jenny
Last Sunday, Darcie wrote a paragraph on King cakes in her food news antipasto post; and in February of 2020, I covered the yeasted cake in a weekly roundup. Today, I want to share more with you about a beautiful book devoted to the subject.
The Big Book of King Cake: The Stories & Bakers Behind New Orleans’ Sweetest Tradition by Matt Haines is devoted to the history of the King cake and features bakers in New Orleans (as well as a chapter on its “international cousins”).
Filled with vivid imagery and profiles of bakers such as Joy the Baker, Jack Rose, and Brennans, this book is pure inspiration. It includes photographs of profiled bakers’ versions of the treasured cake but there are only three recipes in the book – two cocktails and one King cake recipe at the back of the book provided by the New Orleans Culinary & Hospitality Institute.
There are over 366 pages in this stunning title and I have found myself spending hours studying the countless variations of this cake and enjoying the stories of the bakers behind them. While there are not recipes for all these wonderful variations, I find myself inspired to take a basic recipe and experiment with the different glazes and fillings and I’m sure any baker could do the same.
Our takes you inside The Big Book of King Cake to give you an idea of its content. It is a wonderful resource. On Feb 22nd, Matt is hosting a King cake workshop in New Orleans.
The last week at Eat Your Books
Since our last roundup, Darcie has written these articles:
- Getting credit for the recipe
- Tips on food photography
- Do you have what it takes to make the Queen’s pudding?
- Ottolenghi says he gets ‘the rowdiest crowds’ in Australia
Darcie’s weekly food news antipasto is shared every Sunday and the tag #foodnews brings up these information-packed posts from the most current to the first one. Darcie can be followed on Instagram at darcie_bakes.
A reminder in case you missed it – Jane has published her annual best lists:
Since our last roundup, I have posted the following:
- Christmas in January – Cookbooks, Cookie Press & Duralex Bowls Giveaway (US/UK)
- February 2022 Great Big Cookbook Club Summary
- Cookbook deals is frequently updated so check that post often for new sales (the ICYMI post explains the post in detail) – please note the addition of LeCreuset specials.
- Looking forward to 2022 cookbooks (updated)
Please be sure to check our Calendar for updated events. My Instagram is thecookbookjunkies.
Jenny and the EYB Team
Recently Indexed Titles
Our team of member and pro indexers are working hard indexing titles, both new and old. Below are just a few highlights. A reminder: newly indexed titles will always show up at the top of the EYB Library and your Bookshelf so you will always know which titles have just been indexed. Recent indexed magazines can be found here. For information on member indexing, please see this roundup with more details.
- Pam the Jam: The Book of Preserves by Pam Corbin
- Pinch of Nom Comfort Food: 100 Slimming, Satisfying Recipes by Kay Featherstone and Kate Allinson
- Ready, Set, Cook: How To Make Good Food with What’s On Hand (No Fancy Skills, Fancy Equipment, or Fancy Budget Required) by Dawn Perry
- Bella: My Life in Food: Includes 60 Recipes that Annabel Lives By by Annabel Langbein
- The Happy Cookbook: 130 Wholefood Recipes for Health, Wellness, and a Little Extra Sparkle by Lola Berry
- The Best of Alison Holst: Over 1000 of Her Favourite Recipes and Tips by Alison Holst (Special thanks to the member who indexed this huge title).
- Soup of the Day: 150 Delicious, Comforting Soup Recipes from America’s Melting Pot by Ellen Brown
- The Art of Baking Bread: What You Really Need to Know to Make Great Bread by Matt Pellegrini
- The Keto Instant Pot Cookbook: Ketogenic Diet Pressure Cooker Recipes Made Easy and Fast by Urvashi Pitre
- Every Day Easy Air Fryer: 100 Recipes Bursting with Flavor by Urvashi Pitre
- Thrive Foods: 200 Plant-Based Recipes for Peak Health by Brendan Brazier
- Japanese Cooking: Contemporary & Traditional: Simple, Delicious and Vegan by Miyoko Nishimoto Schinner
- Preserving Summer’s Bounty: A Quick and Easy Guide to Freezing, Canning, Preserving and Drying What You Grow by Susan McClure
- Dungeness Crabs and Blackberry Cobblers: The Northwest Heritage Cookbook by Janie Hibler
- The Comfortable Kitchen: 105 Laid-Back, Healthy, and Wholesome Recipes by Alex Snodgrass
- The Big Book of King Cake by Matt Haines
- The Easy Asian Cookbook for Slow Cookers: Family-Style Favorites from East, Southeast, and South Asia by Nancy Cho
Member Photo of the Week
Breakfast-in-Rome lemon cake from Baking with Dorie: Sweet, Salty & Simple (page 76) by Dorie Greenspan submitted by member MakeMyHay
Have you uploaded any of your own photos yet? Learn more! Please remember to update your profile with your Instagram name if you would like to be tagged in any photos that we share!
Featured Online Recipe
Pasta with braised greens from The Kitchn by Ali Slagle
Add The Kitchn to your bookshelf for an additional 8,836 recipes
Ali Slagle’s debut cookbook I Dream of Dinner (So You Don’t Have To): Low-Effort, High-Reward Recipes will be released in April.
Recently we uploaded our 1,214th EYBDigital Preview where a selection of full sample pages is available for the following cookbooks.
Learn more about EYBDigital Previews.
Note: To learn why you cannot add all EYBDigital Preview recipes to your Bookshelf, please read this Help page.
- 3 recipes from The Asian Market Cookbook: How to Find Superior Ingredients to Elevate Your Asian Home Cooking by Vivian Aronson
- 4 recipes from Tasty Over the Top by Tasty
- 5 recipes from Gabriel Kreuther: The Spirit of Alsace, A Cookbook by Gabriel Kreuther and Michael Ruhlman
- 4 recipes from Istria: Recipes and Stories From the Hidden Heart of Italy, Slovenia and Croatia by Paola Bacchia
Click on the Blue Link Below to Enter
- Enter our US giveaway to win a copy of Cook Once Dinner Fix by Cassy Joy Garcia along with a meal planning tear sheet (lasts about a year), an e-book with eight extra dinners and lunches and a Circulon 12″ Stainless-Steel Nonstick Frying Pan with lid! Contest expires Jan 22nd, 2022.
- Enter our worldwide giveaway of six of Jenny’s top 2021 cookbooks as shown in the photo above. Contest expires Jan 22nd, 2022.
The cookbook giveaway roundup shares all current giveaways including those open worldwide and to other regions.
- All Posts (6193)
- Antipasto (1796)
- Author Articles (237)
- Book News (894)
- Cookbook Giveaways (880)
- Cookbook Lovers (242)
- Cooking Tips (89)
- Culinary News (289)
- Food Biz People (517)
- Food Online (719)
- Holidays & Celebrations (236)
- New Cookbooks (127)
- Recipes (1356)
- Shelf Life With Susie (231)
- What's New on EYB (121)
- sarahteertzah on Cookbook Giveaway: Baking by Feel
- rkosully on Cookbook Giveaway: RecipeTin Eats & Emile Henry oven; Quick Bites
- GiselleMarie on Too many (celebrity) cooks in the (TV) kitchen
- dnortje31 on Too many (celebrity) cooks in the (TV) kitchen
- cellenly on Cookbook/prize package giveaway: My Vermont Table
- cellenly on Cookbook Giveaway: The Kids Book of Challah
- tmjellicoe on Too many (celebrity) cooks in the (TV) kitchen
- roxlet on Cookbook Giveaway: RecipeTin Eats & Emile Henry oven; Quick Bites
- michalow on Giveaway: Hoppers: The Cookbook
- michalow on Cookbook Giveaway: On the Curry Trail & an Emile Henry stew pot