This week: Bake from Scratch on demand classes; James Beard broadcast; EYBD Previews; recipes and moreAugust 12, 2022 by Jenny
We are entering the busiest time of the year with all the fall/autumn cookbooks on the roster to be indexed and reviewed – see links to Previews below; I have already started working on the 2023 preview listing of cookbooks; we are adding new magazines to our Library for our members – Waitrose Weekend and just starting The Pioneer Woman Magazine and so many more irons in the fire.
I am also entering a busy time as Secretary and member of the James Beard Book Awards Committee. I am looking forward to attending our December meeting in New York. As you may recall, I was unable to attend the awards in Chicago this year and for those of you who did not watch the live stream – you can experience the celebrations if you are in the USA by tuning into the CBS broadcast of the 2022 James Beard Awards, presented by Capital One, on Saturday August 13, 2:30 pm EST.
Bake from Scratch is now offering on demand classes in their store. They also have some great bundle deals on their yearly compilation volumes as well as their speciality titles such as The Cake Collection: 192 Recipes for the Cake Enthusiast which was just released last week. I am also coveting the stunning copper pieces available.
Kristin Hoffman, the author of Baker Bettie’s Better Baking Book, is opening an event location in Chicago called Bettie’s Chicago. This Sunday August 14th, Kristin is offering a virtual class on pies and pastries – the cost for this first class is whatever you can pay. Once the facility is fully functioning, we will add Bettie’s Chicago to our calendar.
Lastly, speaking of baking, be sure to preorder now Gâteau: The Surprising Simplicity of French Cakes by Aleksandra Crapanzano – pub date September 27th. It is a work of art with lovely illustrations and filled with recipes for many French cakes. A few recipes include Salted-caramel baulois; Chocolate marquise; Bittersweet chocolate espresso cake and Pierre Herme’s Instagram Sensation Explained. The author provides pages of detailed information with regard to soaking syrups; fillings; marmalades; ganache; spice mixes and more. It is such a beautiful book.
The last week on Eat Your Books
Since our last roundup, Darcie has written these articles:
- Why you are seeing increased restaurant prices
- Is it too early to plan for the holidays?
- Pioneering British chef Alastair Little has died
- Cookbook collector extraordinaire Judith Bluestein Longone has died at age 89
Darcie’s weekly food news antipasto is shared every Sunday and the tag #foodnews brings up these information-packed posts from the most current to the first one. Darcie can be followed on Instagram at darcie_bakes.
Recently, Jane shared the news about two NEW FEATURES:
Since our last roundup, I have posted the following:
- Green Kitchen: Quick + Slow Cookbook Giveaway (US/UK/AU/NZ)
- Fall/autumn preview: Part II – Non-baking titles (Fall/Autumn 2022 Cookbook Preview: Part I: The Baking Titles)
- August 2022 Great Big Cookbook Club Summary
- Cookbook deals are frequently updated so check that post often for new sales including our updated Australian section (the ICYMI post explains the post in detail) – please note the addition of LeCreuset specials.
- Looking forward to 2022 cookbooks
- Please be sure to check our Calendar for updates.
My Instagram is thecookbookjunkies.
Jenny and the EYB Team
Recently Indexed Titles
Our team of member and pro indexers are working hard indexing titles, both new and old. Below are just a few highlighted titles. A reminder: newly indexed titles will always show up at the top of the EYB Library and your Bookshelf so you will always know which titles have just been indexed. Recent indexed magazines can be found here. For information on member indexing, please see this roundup with more details.
- Gracias Madre: Bright, Plant-Based Recipes from Our Mexi-Cali Kitchen by Alan Sanchez
- Making Cupcakes with Lola by Victoria Jossel and Romy Lewis
- Curries and Bugles: A Memoir and Cook Book of the British Raj by Jennifer Brennan
- Prep School: How to Improve Your Kitchen Skills and Cooking Techniques by Chicago Tribune and James P. DeWan
- Ani’s Raw Food Essentials: Recipes and Techniques for Mastering the Art of Live Food by Ani Phyo
- Marque: A Culinary Adventure by Mark Best
- Green Mangoes and Lemon Grass by Wendy Hutton
- The Mexican Chile Pepper Cookbook: The Soul of Mexican Home Cooking by Dave DeWitt and José C. Marmolejo
Member Photo of the Week
Luscious lemon possets from Snackable Bakes: 100 Easy-Peasy Recipes for Exceptionally Scrumptious Sweets and Treats (page 59) by Jessie Sheehan submitted by member Astrid5555
Have you uploaded any of your own photos yet? Learn more! Please remember to update your profile with your Instagram name if you would like to be tagged in any photos that we share!
Featured Online Recipe
Adding Langbein to your bookshelf provides you over 200 additional recipes.
Recently, we uploaded our 1,380th EYBDigital Preview where a selection of full sample pages are available including the titles below.
Note: To learn why you cannot add all EYBDigital Preview recipes to your Bookshelf, please read this Help page.
- A selection of pages and 3 recipes from Batch Baking: Get-ahead Recipes for Cookies, Cakes, Breads and More by Cynthia Barcomi Friedman Published in UK August 4th; Pub date in US August 30th, 2022
- A selection of pages and 8 recipes from Simply Chinese: Recipes from a Chinese Home Kitchen by Suzie Lee Pub date August 18th, 2022
- A selection of pages and five recipes from From Scratch: More Than 200 Handmade Pantry Essentials and Life-Affirming Kitchen Miracles by Fiona Weir Walmsley Pub date September 15th, 2022
- A selection of pages from Evolutions in Bread: Artisan Pan Breads and Dutch-Oven Loaves at Home by Ken Forkish Pub date September 20th, 2022
Click on the Blue Link Below to Enter
- Enter our US/UK/AU/NZ giveaway to win one of three copies of Cinnamon and Salt: Ciccheti in Venice: Small Bites From The Lagoon City by Emiko Davies. Contest expires August 19th, 2022
- Enter our worldwide giveaway to win one of two copies of Ayla: A Feast of Nepali Dishes from Terai, Hills and Himalayas by Santosh Shah. Contest expires August 26th, 2022.
The cookbook giveaway roundup shares all current giveaways including those open worldwide and to other regions.
- gamulholland on Matt Lucas is leaving the GBBO
- cindyr on Jenny’s Best Books of 2022 and Cookbook Gift Guide with Giveaway
- KarinaFrancis on Matt Lucas is leaving the GBBO
- hillsboroks on Food news antipasto
- katylynnf on Matt Lucas is leaving the GBBO
- dlduncan11 on Jenny’s Best Books of 2022 and Cookbook Gift Guide with Giveaway
- dataentrytard on The Tomte Cake and Giveaway
- jezpurr on Trap Kitchen Mac N All Over the World: Quick Bites – Cookbook Giveaway
- BrandiRae on Jenny’s Best Books of 2022 and Cookbook Gift Guide with Giveaway
- jezpurr on The Tomte Cake and Giveaway