The last two weeks: Cookies – to spritz or not to spritz, baking recipes, cookbook previews and moreDecember 3, 2021 by Jenny
Spritz cookies are a type of German Christmas cookie made of flour, butter, sugar and eggs called Spritzgeback. The word spritz originated from the German word, “spritzen,” which means “to squirt” in English. This refers to pushing the cookie dough through a cookie press.
Spritz cookies are easy, they can add bulk to a cookie tray (making it look like you went the extra mile) and there are so many ways to decorate them. These crowd favorites only require a cookie press – OXO is my favorite brand and I have tried several. Helpful hint: there are always loads of cookie presses at the thrift stores. I also love the seasonal disk packs (Christmas and Spring) to make even more designs. If you want to make the cookies but don’t want to add another piece of equipment to your arsenal, you can make them without a press by rolling out the dough or piping it.
- Creative ways to decorate spritz cookies
- How to make the perfect spritz cookie
- Spritz snowflake cookies
- Bourbon vanilla spritz
- 50 cookie press ideas
- Spritz cookie ideas
The last two weeks on the blog
Since our last roundup, Darcie has written these articles:
- Best recipes of 2021
- Can you really own a recipe?
- A new baking show just in time for the holidays
- “Queen of Cakes” Sylvia Weinstock has died
- How to make the best use of holiday leftovers
- Winners of the 2021 Gourmand Awards
Darcie’s weekly food news antipasto is shared every Sunday and the tag #foodnews brings up these information-packed posts from the most current to the first one. Darcie can be followed on Instagram at darcie_bakes.
Darcie, Jane and I all contribute to our GBBO recap posts. All GBBO related posts are tagged #gbbo2021 and we will be back next year! Reminder: two holiday specials begin streaming on Netflix Dec 3rd.
Since our last roundup, I have posted the following:
- Cooking at Home and a Smithey Wok Giveaway (US)
- Sambal Shiok: The Malaysian Cookbook – Giveaway (US/UK/AU/NZ)
- The Modern Larder – Veritable Garden Giveaway (US/CA)
- Cook Once Dinner Fix Prize Package Giveaway with a Circulon frying pan (US)
- 2021 Gift Guide for the Cookbook Lover, Cook and Baker
- The Great Big 2021 Holiday Baking – Cookie Roundup
- December 2021 Great Big Cookbook Club Summary (updated with Great British Chefs & Jamie Oliver’s selection – both Advent!)
- Looking forward to 2022 cookbooks (updated)
Please be sure to check our Calendar for updated events. Our cookbook deals post is frequently updated and will include any special holiday deals as well so check that post often for new sales (the ICYMI post explains the post in detail). This week there are deals on print copies (US). My Instagram is thecookbookjunkies.
Jenny and the EYB Team
Recently Indexed Titles
Our team of member and pro indexers are working hard indexing titles, both new and old. Below are just a few highlights. Recently indexed titles will always show up at the top of the EYB Library and your Bookshelf so you will always know which titles have just been indexed. Recent indexed magazines can be found here.
- The Complete Cookery Year: With Over 300 Seasonal Recipes by Gary Rhodes
- The Finch Bakery Book: Sweet and Simple Homemade Treats and Showstopper Celebration Cakes by Lauren & Rachel Finch
- Miguel’s Tapas by Miguel Maestre
- Vegetables: The Definitive Guide to Delicious Cooking and Eating by Sophie Grigson
- 10-a-Day the Easy Way: Fuss-free Recipes & Simple Science to Transform your Health by James Wong
- Fay Makes It Easy: 100 Delicious Recipes to Impress with No Stress by Fay Ripley
- Joon: Persian Cooking Made Simple by Najmieh Batmanglij
- Tasty Over the Top by Tasty
- Field Notes for Food Adventure: Recipes and Stories from the Woods to the Ocean by Brad Leone
- Treasures of the Mexican Table: Classic Recipes, Local Secrets by Pati Jinich
- Grains for Every Season: Rethinking Our Way with Grains by Joshua McFadden and Martha Holmberg
- The Great British Bake Off: How to Avoid a Soggy Bottom and Other Secrets to Achieving a Good Bake by Gerard Baker
- Indian in 7: Delicious Indian Recipes in 7 Ingredients or Fewer by Monisha Bharadwaj
- Florence Lin’s Complete Book of Chinese Noodles, Dumplings and Breads by Florence Lin
- The Peached Tortilla: Modern Asian Comfort Food from Tokyo to Texas by Eric Silverstein
- This Must Be the Place: Dispatches & Food From the Home Front by Racheal Ray
- Take One Tin: 80 Delicious Meals from the Storecupboard by Lola Milne
- Great Fast Food: 200 Quick and Easy Recipes for Delicious Meals in Minutes by Gary Rhodes
- The Ultimate Meal-Prep Cookbook: One Grocery List. A Week of Meals. No Waste. by America’s Test Kitchen
- Seasons of My Heart: A Culinary Journey through Oaxaca, Mexico by Susana Trilling
- The National Trust Traditional Teatime Recipes by Jane Pettigrew
- Ferment for Good: Ancient Food for the Modern Gut: Discover the Slowest Kind of Fast Food by Sharon Flynn
- The Seafood Shack: Food & Tales from Ullapool by Kirsty Scobie and Fenella Renwick
- Roberta’s Still Cookin’ by Carlo Mirarchi and Brandon Hoy
- Home Made Basics: Simple Recipes, Made from Scratch by Yvette van Boven
- The Mezzo Cookbook by John Torode and Sarah Francis
- The Little French Bakery Cookbook: Sweet & Savory Recipes and Tales from a Pastry Chef and Her Cooking School by Susan Holding
- Fresh: Great Simple Seafood by Mitch Tonks
- Southern Sugar by Belinda Smith-Sullivan
Member Photos from the Last Two Weeks
Soy sauce chow mein with a fried egg from To Asia, With Love: Everyday Asian Recipes and Stories from the Heart (page 53) by Hetty McKinnon submitted by member Lots_of_fun_nyc
Have you uploaded any of your own photos yet? Learn more! Please remember to update your profile with your Instagram name if you would like to be tagged in any photos that we share!
Featured Online Recipes
This recipe is from Anja’s latest book Advent: Festive German Bakes to Celebrate the Coming of Christmas (learn more and enter our giveaway here)
Adding Great British Chefs – Chef Recipes to your bookshelf gives you 5,105 recipes
Adding Food52 to your bookshelf gives you 12,013 recipes!
Recently we uploaded our 1,207th EYBDigital Preview where a selection of full sample pages is available for the following cookbooks.
Note: To learn why you cannot add all EYBDigital Preview recipes to your Bookshelf, please read this Help page.
- A selection of pages and 1 recipe from Ayurvedic Rituals: Wisdom, Recipes and the Ancient Art of Self-Care by Chasca Summerville Pub date Dec 21st, 2021.
- A selection of pages and 4 recipes from Salad: 100 Recipes for Simple Salads & Dressings by Janneke Philippi Pub date Feb 1st, 2022.
- A selection of pages and several partial recipes from Pizza Quest: My Never-Ending Search for the Perfect Pizza by Peter Reinhart Pub date Mar 8th, 2022.
- A selection of pages and 4 recipes from Saka Saka: South of the Sahara – Adventures in African Cooking by Anto Cocagne Pub date Mar 9th, 2022.
Click on the Blue Link Below to Enter
- Enter our US giveaway to win Modernist Pizza by Nathan Myhrvold and Francisco Migoya. Contest expires Dec 12th, 2021.
- Enter our worldwide giveaway to win a copy of Mooncakes and Milk Bread: Sweet and Savory Recipes Inspired by Chinese Bakeries by Kristina Cho. Contest expires Dec 17th, 2021.
- agreaves19 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- emi10383 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- Dendav on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- Nanaree04 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- Spud13 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- Sand9 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- jenlhawes on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- LoBlom on Food news antipasto
- PhillipJD on The Cake Book – Cookbook Giveaway
- bookmark58 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway