The last two weeks: James Beard announcement, Modernist Pizza podcast, updated events, recipes and moreNovember 5, 2021 by Jenny
Hello members. We skipped the roundup last week due to the monthly newsletter’s publication, if you missed the newsletter in your inbox, you can always find each issue in the newsletter archive.
This week I have a big announcement to share with you: I have been honored with a four year appointment to the James Beard Cookbook Award Committee. In the past, I have been a judge for both the James Beard and IACP cookbook awards, however this role will encompass far more.
As Darcie reported in September, last year the committee undertook an audit of its policies and procedures. Part of my duties will be upholding the James Beard Awards Mission:
THE JAMES BEARD AWARDS MISSION is to recognize exceptional talent and achievement in the culinary arts, hospitality, media, and broader food system, as well as a demonstrated commitment to racial and gender equity, community, sustainability, and a culture where all can thrive.
While a great deal of work will be involved, I am thrilled to be a part of this team. In addition to other duties, I will oversee my own category each year (I cannot share which categories those will be). Our call for entries is officially open until Nov 30th, 2021. Authors, chefs, and publishers, please be aware of that deadline. Click here to submit a Media Awards entry or Leadership and Restaurant and Chef Awards recommendation.
This week, I shared a review and giveaway for Modernist Pizza. Right after I published that promotion, the Modernist Pizza podcast was announced. The Modernist Pizza podcast will record the science, history, and culture of pizza, all told through in-depth interviews with the book’s coauthors and the people who are shaping the future of the world’s most popular food. To listen to the first episode: History, Part I click here.
The last two weeks on the blog
Since our last roundup, Darcie has written these articles:
- The foods of Diwali
- IVFF announces the winners of its first-ever vegan cookbook awards
- Día de Muertos celebrations
- Impractical cookbook storage
- New food words added to the dictionary
- Good Food Kitchen is the cooking show you didn’t know you needed
- IACP Cookbook Awards 2021 winners
- The Gathering Basket reclaims narratives of Indigenous foodways
Darcie’s weekly food news antipasto is shared every Sunday and the tag #foodnews brings up these information-packed posts from the most current to the first one. Darcie can be followed on Instagram at darcie_bakes.
Darcie, Jane and I all contribute to our GBBO recap posts. All GBBO related posts are tagged #gbbo2021.
Since our last roundup, I have posted the following:
- Mooncakes & Milk Bread – Cookbook Giveaway (worldwide)
- Modernist Pizza Review and Giveaway (US)
- October 2021 New Cookbook Review
- October 2021 EYB Cookbook Club Summary (includes options through Feb 2022)
- November 2021 Great Big Cookbook Club Summary – updated with Sur la Table’s December cookbook club and Jamie Oliver’s November option.
- Looking forward to 2022 cookbooks (updated: note the addition of a debut book from Rahul Mandal under Oct 2022)
Please be sure to check our calendar for updated events including a special signing on Dec 2nd at The White House Historical Association, more dates added for Book Larder, Omnivore Books and Now Serving. Events have also been added in the UK for Topping and Company (Nigel Slater and others), Waterstones (The Bake Off Finalists and Nisha Katona), and Borough Market has a load of holiday festivities beginning in December. Date change: Rose Levy Beranbaum’s podcast with Virginia Willis will be on Nov 6th instead of the 5th.
Jenny and the EYB Team
Recently Indexed Titles
Our team of member and pro indexers continue to impress, below are just a few highlights. Recently indexed titles will always show up at the top of the EYB Library so you will always know which titles have just been indexed. Recent indexed magazines can be found here.
- Black Food: Stories, Art, and Recipes from Across the African Diaspora by Bryant Terry
- The Latin American Cookbook by Virgilio Martinez
- Tonight’s Dinner: Home Cooking for Every Day by Adam Liaw
- The Great British Bake Off: A Bake for All Seasons by Paul Hollywood, Prue Leith and The Bake Off Team
- Filipinx: Heritage Recipes from the Diaspora by Angela Dimayuga and Ligaya Mishan
- Scrumptious from the Girl Who Ate Everything by Christy Denny
- The Buddhist Chef: 100 Simple, Feel-Good Vegan Recipes by Jean-Philippe Cyr
- Septime, La Cave, Clamato, D’une île by Bertrand Grébaut, Théophile Pourriat and Benoit Cohen
- Tarkari: Innovative Vegetarian and Vegan Indian Dishes with Heart and Soul by Rohit Ghai
- Slippurinn: Recipes and Stories from Iceland by Gísli Matt – see our post regarding the ingredients in this title
- Sambal Shiok: The Malaysian Cookbook by Mandy Yin
- Your Home Izakaya: Fun and Simple Recipes Inspired by the Drinking-and-Dining Dens of Japan by Tim Anderson
- Chefs at Home: Delicious Family Recipes from the UK’s Leading Lockdown Chefs
- Arty Parties: An Entertaining Cookbook by the Creator of Salad for President by Julia Sherman
- Cannelle et Vanille Bakes Simple: A New Way to Bake Gluten-Free by Aran Goyoaga
- Cookies: The New Classics by Jesse Szewczyk
- Cooking at Home: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Recipes (And Love My Microwave) by David Chang and Priya Krishna
- Grist: A Practical Guide to Cooking Grains, Beans, Seeds, and Legumes by Abra Berens
- Cravings: All Together by Chrissy Teigen
- Italian American: Red Sauce Classics and New Essentials: A Cookbook by Angie Rito, Scott Tacinelli and Jamie Feldmar
- Pasta: The Spirit and Craft of Italy’s Greatest Food, with Recipes by Missy Robbins and Talia Baiocchi
Member Photos From the Last Two Weeks
Kentucky bourbon cake from Once Upon a Chef: Weekend/Weeknight: 70 Quick-Fix Weeknight Dinners + 30 Luscious Weekend Recipes (page 269) by Jennifer Segal submitted by member Running_with_Wools
Pad Thai salad with shredded cabbage and kale from To Asia, With Love: Everyday Asian Recipes and Stories from the Heart (page 197) by Hetty McKinnon submitted by member sayeater
Have you uploaded any of your own photos yet? Learn more! Please remember to update your profile with your Instagram name if you would like to be tagged in any photos that we share!
Featured Online Recipes
Adding Leite’s Culinaria to your bookshelf gives you an additional 4,172 recipes
Some bonus recently indexed online recipes: see this search for a variety of pies as well as technique recipes.
Recently we uploaded our 1,183rd EYBDigital Preview where a selection of full sample pages is available for the following cookbooks.
Note: To learn why you cannot add all EYBDigital Preview recipes to your Bookshelf, please read this Help page.
- 4 recipes from Filipinx: Heritage Recipes from the Diaspora by Angela Dimayuga and Ligaya Mishan
- A selection of pages and 2 partial recipes from The Joy of Pizza: Everything You Need to Know by Dan Richer Pub date Nov 9, 2021
- A selection of pages and 6 recipes from In Love in Paris: Recipes and Stories from the Most Romantic City in the World by Anne-Katrin Weber Pub date Nov 1`1, 2021
- A selection of pages and 4 recipes from Milk Street Vegetables: 250 Bold, Simple Recipes for Every Season by Christopher Kimball Pub date Nov 16, 2021
Click on the Blue Link Below to Enter
- Enter our US/UK/AU/NZ giveaway to win one of three copies of The Modern Preserver’s Kitchen: Cooking with Your Preserves by Kylee Newton. Contest expires Nov 20th, 2021.
- Enter our worldwide giveaway to win one copy of Little Choux Temptations by Jialin Tian. Contest expires Nov 27th, 2021.
The cookbook giveaway roundup shares all current giveaways.
- ameliark on Have you Phoodled yet?
- TammyDee on Ammu Cookbook Giveaway and Gift Card for Diaspora Co spices
- TammyDee on Ammu Cookbook Giveaway and Gift Card for Diaspora Co spices
- TammyDee on CrateChef – Ali Slagle Box Giveaway
- sweetramona on CrateChef – Ali Slagle Box Giveaway
- ceejayen on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- ceejayen on Atsuko Ikeda – Author Quick Bites & Cookbook Set Giveaway
- ceejayen on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- Lissalana on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- lpiermarini on The Wok by J. Kenji López-Alt Worldwide Cookbook Giveaway