The last two weeks: A look inside Gastro Obscura, 2022 cookbooks, giveaways, recipes and EYBD PreviewsSeptember 3, 2021 by Jenny
This roundup has more links and information than usual as we skipped last week’s post as we sent out the monthly newsletter. For brevity’s sake, I will keep the topic short and sweet: a quick look at an amazing food title: Gastro Obscura: A Food Adventure by Cecily Wong, Dylan Thuras and Atlas Obscura.
Gastro Obscura is one of those “must have” titles (publication date Oct 12, 2021). When I first received the book, I went through it quickly in awe. Then later in the evening, I thoroughly perused each page and was totally smitten. An obscene amount of photographs and illustrations fill the pages along with essays on topics from “Farthest Flung Chinese Restaurants” to “Ukrainian Wedding Bread”.
It is a generous volume of food knowledge on everything we should know, thought we knew and maybe didn’t want to know (anti-masturbatory food or blood as a pantry staple). There are seven recipes in this book but those are just gravy, the value of Gastro Obscura is in the pages and pages of encyclopedic information that is both interesting and sometimes shocking.
Further to upcoming titles, be sure to check out the Quick Bites on Pamela Kure Grogan’s title My Cookbook Passion and take a gander at the 2022 preview listing (collage of some 2022 covers below). My preview for the second half of 2021 and other sneak peeks can be found at the links shared.
The last two weeks on the blog
Since our last roundup, Darcie has written these articles:
- A tart and a tale
- A new Oxford Companion is on the way
- Don’t say cheese, say formaggio
- A simple cookie
- Emily Dickinson, food writer
- The New Yorker special culinary archival issue
- Michel Roux Jr’s new travel program showcases French country cooking
Darcie’s weekly food news antipasto is shared every Sunday and the tag #foodnews brings up these information-packed posts from the most current to the first one. Darcie can be followed on Instagram at darcie_bakes.
Since our last roundup, I have posted the following:
- Sur la Table Online Cookbook Club – Ticket to Event & Dada Eats Cookbook Giveaway (US)
- Baked to Perfection – Cookbook Giveaway (US/UK)
- August 2021 EYB Cookbook Club Summary
- Even more delicious things I am adding to my list of baking intentions
- August 2021 New Cookbook Review
- September 2021 Great Big Cookbook Club Summary (Borough Market updated)
- Looking forward to 2022 cookbooks (yes! it is almost that time again!)
- My Cookbook Passion and Quick Bites with Pamela Grogan, the author
Please be sure to check our Calendar for any updated classes/events. Just added: Brian Hart Hoffman’s new baking classes beginning Sep 13th which include some special classes with Dorie and Jake Cohen. Our cookbook deals post (note the new permanent link) so check the blog for new sales (the ICYMI post explains the post in detail). My Instagram is thecookbookjunkies.
Jenny and the EYB Team
Recently Indexed Titles
Our team of member and pro indexers continue to impress, below are a few highlights. Recently indexed titles will always show up at the top of the EYB Library so you will always know which titles have just been indexed.
- The Sweet Roasting Tin: One Tin Cakes, Cookies & Bakes by Rukmini Iyer
- Together: Memorable Meals, Made Easy by Jamie Oliver
- Great British Chefs: Around the Table by Great British Chefs
- Bowls and Broths: Build a Bowl of Flavour From Scratch, with Dumplings, Noodles, and More by Pippa Middlehurst
- Rasoi: New Indian Kitchen by Vineet Bhatia
- Made in Italy: Over 80 Authentic Recipes From the Heart of Italy by Silvia Colloca
- The Great British Bake Off: Love to Bake by Paul Hollywood and Prue Letih
- Something for the Weekend by Jamie Oliver
- Essential Cuisine: Michel Bras by Michel Bras
- The Chilean Kitchen: 75 Seasonal Recipes for Stews, Breads, Salads, Cocktails, Desserts, and More by Pilar Hernandez and Eileen Smith
- Time to Eat: 120 Simple Recipes That Take from Ten Minutes to Over an Hour by Gary Rhodes
- Caravan: Dining All Day by Laura Harper-Hinton, Miles Kirby and Chris Ammermann
- Five-Ingredient Dinners: 100+ Fast, Flavorful Meals by America’s Test Kitchen
- The Curry Guy Bible: Recreate Over 200 Indian Restaurant and Takeaway Favourites at Home by Dan Toombs
- The Weekday Vegetarians: 100 Recipes and a Real-Life Plan for Eating Less Meat by Jenny Rosenstrach
- Kevin Belton’s Cookin’ Louisiana: Flavors from the Parishes of the Pelican State by Kevin Belton
- The Best Pasta Sauces: Favorite Regional Italian Recipes by Micol Negrin
- Jamie Oliver’s Food Tube: The Pasta Book: 50 Easy, Delicious, Seasonal Pasta Recipes by Gennaro Contaldo
- Pâté, Confit, Rillette: Recipes from the Craft of Charcuterie by Brian Polcyn and Michael Ruhlman
- The Essential Sous Vide Cookbook: Modern Meals for The Sophisticated Palate by Sarah James
- The Classic Cuisine of the Italian Jews: Traditional Recipes and Menus and a Memoir of a Vanished Way of Life by Edda Servi Machlin
Member Photos from the Last Two Weeks
Have you uploaded any of your own photos yet? Learn more! Please remember to update your profile with your Instagram name if you would like to be tagged in any photos that we share!
Featured Online Recipes
Add Serious Eats to your bookshelf for 4,089 additional recipes
Recently we uploaded our 1,131st EYBDigital Preview where a selection of full sample pages is available for the following cookbooks.
Note: To learn why you cannot add all EYBDigital Preview recipes to your Bookshelf, please read this Help page.
- 3 recipes from Under Coconut Skies: Old and New Recipes from the Philippines by Yasmin Newman – pub date Oct 5, 2021
- A selection of pages and 10 recipes from The Latin American Cookbook by Virgilio Martinez – pub date Oct 15, 2021
- 3 recipes from The Cake Book: Beautiful Sweet Treats for Every Craving by Rebecca Firth – pub date Oct 19, 2021
- A selection of pages and 3 recipes from Black Food: Stories, Art, and Recipes from Across the African Diaspora by Bryant Terry – pub date Oct 19, 2021
Click on the Blue Link Below to Enter
- Enter our US/UK/AU/NZ giveaway to win one of three copies of Sea & Shore: Recipes and Stories from a Kitchen in Cornwall by Emily Scott. Contest expires Sep 11th, 2021.
- Enter our US/CA/UK giveaway to win one of two copies of To Asia, With Love: Everyday Asian Recipes and Stories from the Heart by Hetty McKinnon. Contest expires Sep 13th, 2021.
- Enter our US giveaway to win one of two copies of Teatime at Grosvenor Square: An Unofficial Cookbook for Fans of Bridgerton – 75 Sinfully Delectable Recipes by Dahlia Clearwater. Contest expires Sep 13th, 2021.
- Enter our US/CA/UK/AU/NZ giveaway to win one of two copies of Cooking for Your Kids: At Home with the World’s Greatest Chefs by Joshua David Stein. Contest expires Sep 15th, 2021.
The cookbook giveaway roundup shares all current giveaways.
- JennaJ on Amber & Rye Cookbook Giveaway
- hibeez on Jialin Tian – Ph.D. Pastry Chef – Cookbook Giveaway
- hibeez on Baking with Dorie & Emile Henry Tarte Tatin baker Giveaway
- hibeez on The Modern Preserver’s Kitchen Cookbook Giveaway
- hibeez on All Day Baking – Cookbook Giveaway
- hirsheys on Baking with Dorie & Emile Henry Tarte Tatin baker Giveaway
- hirsheys on Baking with Dorie & Emile Henry Tarte Tatin baker Giveaway
- hibeez on An Onion in My Pocket – Deborah Madison Quick Bites – Book Giveaway
- hibeez on The Crafted Cookie Giveaway and Author Quick Bites
- hibeez on Peggy Porschen: A Year in Cake Giveaway