Keep your cool by going slowAugust 19, 2014 by Darcie
Who wants to use the oven during the sweltering dog days of summer? If you are among those saying “not me,” then head over to indexed blog The Kitchn, who gives us eleven ways to beat the heat by using a slow cooker. Clocking in at number 11 is the classic method of cooking beans in the slow cooker. But some of the other uses in the list are more creative.
Did you know that you can make cheesecake in a slow cooker? Baked potatoes are also easily made by harnessing the low-and-slow capabilities of this under-utilized appliance. Make the most of the bumper crop of fruits or vegetables by using the slow cooker to make preserves or relishes.
Other interesting uses explored in the post are baking bread and roasting beets. More traditional soups and meats in the slow cooker are also discussed. Do you make use of your slow cooker during the summer months? What is your favorite summer slow cooker recipe?
In addition to the great ideas from The Kitchn, look to these highly rated recipes from the EYB Library:
Slow cooker Mexican pulled pork from Simply
Recipes by Elise Bauer
Slow cooker black beans from Café Johnsonia
Slow cooker blueberry butter from Food in Jars by
Carrot cake from Slow Cooker Revolution by
Spiced cauliflower and potatoes (Aloo gobi) from The Indian Slow Cooker by
Photo of Slow cooker apple butter from My Baking Addiction by
- krnries on Cinnamon and Salt by Emiko Davies – Cookbook Giveaway
- TeresaRenee on Lock your doors: it’s zucchini season
- leknit on Green Kitchen: Quick + Slow Cookbook Giveaway
- lils74 on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Lesevans6 on Cinnamon and Salt by Emiko Davies – Cookbook Giveaway
- kezbabybabe on What’s the best cookbook holder?
- PhillipJD on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Twiddle on Ayla – Cookbook Giveaway
- acecil on Lanka Food: Cookbook Giveaway
- Mignumi on Cinnamon and Salt by Emiko Davies – Cookbook Giveaway