James Beard Foundation announces book award nomineesMarch 20, 2014 by Darcie
Awards season is now in full swing, as the James Beard Foundation Book Award nominees were announced on March 18 (you can view the complete 2014 list here.) If you compare the James Beard nominees to the IACP nominees, there is not a lot of overlap. Overall, the James Beard Foundation list is more traditional than the IACP list – no self-published books were nominated for a James Beard award.
Another phenomenon indicated by the divergent lists is the large number of quality cookbooks being published. The resurgence in the cookbook industry in the past decade or so is undeniable, with television shows spurring a renewed interest in cooking and the internet making formely obscure ingredients easily obtainable (if not inexpensive). Therefore the differences in the nominations are not surprising given the number of interesting, well-written, and informative cookbooks.
Some of this year’s James Beard nominees may want history to repeat itself. Last year Flour Water Salt Yeast by Ken Forkish won the Baking category for both IACP and James Beard. This year, the IACP baking winner, The Art of French Pastry, is also nominated for a James Beard award. Provence, 1970 may also be hoping for déjà vu, because Marcus Samuelsson swept both 2013 awards for food writing for Yes, Chef.
Other cookbooks can’t hope for a sweep. Although I Love New York was nominated for both awards, it didn’t win the IACP award so it will not be a double winner. Other books that made both lists include Gluten Free Girl, Vegetable Literacy, Sauces and Shapes, The Drunken Botanist, and In the Charcuterie.
Do you concur with the James Beard Foundation nominees? Did your favorites make the list?
- foodie16 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- LUmbro on Fine Cooking’s last issue
- Shelmar on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- janv on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- janv on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- FattyNaddy on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- dhiza on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- zeahund on The Wok by J. Kenji López-Alt Worldwide Cookbook Giveaway
- lauren424 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- JEWGAL777 on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway