Must-have appliances according to kitchen expertsAugust 20, 2022 by Darcie
The number of kitchen appliances available to consumers these days is staggering. From Instant Pots to air fryers to steam ovens to convertible refrigerators, appliances large and small can fulfill your cooking needs as well as your kitchen fantasies. Opinions vary on which appliances are the most useful, so Australian Gourmet Traveller recently polled several experts – chefs, kitchen stylists and food writers – to find out which appliances are on their must-have list.
Chef Federico Zanellato said a stand mixer is an appliance he can’t live without. I concur, especially if you have one with numerous attachments, as Zanellato does: “I use my stand mixer to make pasta dough, pizza dough, choux pastry, biscuits and cakes but also to whip cream, mince meat and cut pasta using the different attachments,” he says.
Callum McDermott, a digital editor at Gourmet Traveller, finds a mini-food processor indispensable. McDermott notes that “with a few oils and vinegars, you can turn sad herbs into a zingy salsa verde in seconds; make your own dips, purees and sauces on the fly; and even outsource some of your veggie prep.”
My kitchen is on the small side, so I don’t have room to add the latest appliance du jour. I do without many items that some cooks consider necessary, like an air fryer, Instant Pot, or rice cooker, but I wouldn’t dare part with my stand mixer and its many attachments. In my dream kitchen I would have a standalone icemaker – I tried hard to fit one into my kitchen remodel but I just couldn’t make it work. What is your must-have appliance no matter the space, and what’s on your dream kitchen wish list?
- Plutarch on Matt Lucas is leaving the GBBO
- gamulholland on Matt Lucas is leaving the GBBO
- cindyr on Jenny’s Best Books of 2022 and Cookbook Gift Guide with Giveaway
- KarinaFrancis on Matt Lucas is leaving the GBBO
- hillsboroks on Food news antipasto
- katylynnf on Matt Lucas is leaving the GBBO
- dlduncan11 on Jenny’s Best Books of 2022 and Cookbook Gift Guide with Giveaway
- dataentrytard on The Tomte Cake and Giveaway
- jezpurr on Trap Kitchen Mac N All Over the World: Quick Bites – Cookbook Giveaway
- BrandiRae on Jenny’s Best Books of 2022 and Cookbook Gift Guide with Giveaway