This week: When good cookbooks do bad things; EYBD Previews of upcoming releases; recipes; and moreJune 24, 2022 by Jenny
I have been buried – figuratively and almost literally – in managing the indexing of books and magazines along with my regular duties. I am loving the new work. I tell you this to explain a little about why things got so bad. Read on.
For this roundup, instead of some well-thought-out words on a particular recipe or cuisine – I am going to share a funny/not-so-funny story.
The last few years I have been having some health issues – nothing life threatening – but these issues, which we are on the way to resolving, prevent me from lifting. Physical chores are spread out to avoid further aggravating my issues. So when books come in for review or James Beard related work, I have been just stacking these books up in a dangerous “book Jenga” way in my office and even outside my office.
This Sunday I got ready to get to work and went to open my office door. It would not budge. For one second, I thought humidity may be the culprit causing the door to stick. Then realization hit me like a ton of books, my piles by the door had fallen over sometime in the night.
Securing a broom I tried to poke inside the inch or two of space that I was able to leverage, but after fifteen minutes of this activity, I managed to move one book. Next, I decided to grab a spatula from the kitchen and try to poke under the door in an effort to loosen up the congestion of books and perhaps get some movement. No luck.
I called Jane to laugh and cry about the situation and told her that my husband was going to be less than amused. Yes, he was not happy but he did get out his saw and made me a “Dutch door” to get into my office. I joke that I always wanted a “Chandler door”. Needless to say, I have purged a hundred or more books and plan on continuing but doing a little bit at a time.
Let me warn you – do not pile up your books or you too could be the victim of a booknado/book avalanche and that just isn’t fun for anyone. I tell people I’m buried in my work and well….that could very well happen.
Be safe, friends.
The last week on Eat Your Books
Since our last roundup, Darcie has written these articles:
- Cookbook authors don’t have it easy
- Ice cream has gone to the dogs
- Dandy ways to use a common weed
- UK Guild of Food Writers Awards announces 2022 winners
Darcie’s weekly food news antipasto is shared every Sunday and the tag #foodnews brings up these information-packed posts from the most current to the first one. Darcie can be followed on Instagram at darcie_bakes.
Since our last roundup, I have posted the following:
- July Great Big Cookbook Club Summary (updated with Food52’s Baking and Cookbook choices through October). Check back for further updates.
- Cookbook deals are frequently updated so check that post often for new sales including our updated Australian section (the ICYMI post explains the post in detail) – please note the addition of LeCreuset specials.
- Looking forward to 2022 cookbooks (updated with more exciting titles).
- Please be sure to check our Calendar for updates.
My Instagram is thecookbookjunkies.
Jenny and the EYB Team
Recently Indexed Titles
Our team of member and pro indexers are working hard indexing titles, both new and old. Below are just a few highlighted titles. A reminder: newly indexed titles will always show up at the top of the EYB Library and your Bookshelf so you will always know which titles have just been indexed. Recent indexed magazines can be found here. For information on member indexing, please see this roundup with more details.
- Bake: My Best Ever Recipes for the Classics by Paul Hollywood
- Tomato: 80 Recipes Celebrating the Extraordinary Tomato by Claire Thomson
- Red Sauce Brown Sauce: A British Breakfast Odyssey by Felicity Cloake (EYB has a complete author index of all Felicity’s recipes).
- Peter Bakes: 100+ Irresistible Recipes for Teatime Treats, Showstopper Cakes, Yummy Puddings and More by Peter Sawkins
- The Quality Chop House: Modern Recipes and Stories from a London Classic by William Lander, Daniel Morgenthau and Shaun Searley
- Make This Tonight: Recipes to Get Dinner on the Table by Tastemade
- Turkey and the Wolf: Flavor Trippin’ in New Orleans by Mason Hereford and JJ Goode
- The Saltwater Table: Recipes from the Coastal South by Whitney Otawka
- Brilliant Bean: Sophisticated Recipes for the World’s Healthiest Food by Martin and Sally Stone
- Eating Purely: More Than 100 All-Natural, Organic, Gluten-Free Recipes for a Healthy Life by Elizabeth Stein
- The Cookie Bible by Publications International
- The Curry Guy Light: Over 100 Healthy Indian Restaurant Classics and New Dishes to Make at Home by Dan Toombs
- One Pot Vegan: 80 Brand New Recipes from the Creators of SO VEGAN by Roxy Pope and Ben Pook
- The Third Thursday Community Potluck Cookbook: Recipes and Stories to Celebrate the Bounty of the Moment: 160 Seasonal Southern Recipes by Nancy Vienneau
- ScandiKitchen Christmas: Recipes and Traditions from Scandinavia for a Joyful Jul by Brontë Aurell
Member Photo of the Week
Strawberry sheet cake from Snackable Bakes: 100 Easy-Peasy Recipes for Exceptionally Scrumptious Sweets and Treats (page 55) by Jessie Sheehan submitted by member Astrid5555
Be sure to enter our worldwide giveaway to win a copy of Snackable Bakes.
Have you uploaded any of your own photos yet? Learn more! Please remember to update your profile with your Instagram name if you would like to be tagged in any photos that we share!
Featured Online Recipe
You can add Observer Food Monthly Magazine to your bookshelf for thousands of additional recipes.
Recently, we uploaded our 1,358th EYBDigital Preview where a selection of full sample pages are available including the titles below.
Note: To learn why you cannot add all EYBDigital Preview recipes to your Bookshelf, please read this Help page.
- A selection of pages and 5 complete recipes from Japanese Home Cooking by Maori Murota – Pub date July 5th, 2022 (UK); Sept 6th, 2022 (US)
- A selection of pages and 6 complete recipes from Mezcla: Recipes to Excite by Ixta Belfrage – Pub date July 7th, 2022 (UK); Sept 13th, 2022 (US)
- A selection of pages and 9 complete recipes from Mushrooms: Over 70 Recipes Which Celebrate Mushrooms by Martin Nordin – Pub date Aug 16th, 2022
- A selection of pages and 5 complete recipes from The Joy of Better Cooking: Life-changing skills & thrills for enthusiastic eaters by Alice Zaslavsky – Pub date Oct 5th, 2022
The cookbook giveaway roundup shares all current giveaways including those open worldwide and to other regions.
- angiejackson on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- MarciK on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- MarciK on The Lodge at Black Pearl Cookbook – Worldwide Giveaway
- kennethjohngilmour on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- CatsintheKitchen on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- CatsintheKitchen on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Pamyoungvb on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Radu321 on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- virjeania on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Skamper on Sometimes the best things come in small packages