This week: James Beard Awards weekend in Chicago; recipes; EYBD Previews and moreJune 10, 2022 by Jenny
As you are reading this week’s roundup, Jane, Darcie and I are headed to Chicago for the James Beard Media Awards ceremony on Saturday night at Columbia College Chicago. We are looking forward to some great food, seeing familiar and new faces, and lots of cookbook love. We’ll be tweeting results live and doing our usual awards post. (Update: Friday morning due to illness, I ended up having to make the hard decision to cancel my trip.)
Typically, the media awards are held in New York but this year James Beard is combining the restaurant awards and media awards all in the same weekend in Chicago. Above is a photo of Lyric Opera House where the Restaurant and Chef Awards will be held on June 13th.
We will have a full report for you once we return.
The last week on Eat Your Books
Since our last roundup, Darcie has written these articles:
- The foods that inspired chefs
- 2022 Gourmand Cookbook Awards
- The fascinating food career of Freida DeKnight
Darcie’s weekly food news antipasto is shared every Sunday and the tag #foodnews brings up these information-packed posts from the most current to the first one. Darcie can be followed on Instagram at darcie_bakes.
Since our last roundup, I have posted the following:
- The Nutmeg Trail – Cookbook Giveaway (Worldwide)
- The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway (Worldwide)
- In case you missed it: Jane and I talk cookbooks with TASTE
- Playing Around // xoxoDorie Club
- Adding a book to the EYB Library (New Feature and more information here)
- May 2022 EYB Cookbook Club Summary with July & August options added
- June 2022 Great Big Cookbook Club Summary
- Cookbook deals are frequently updated so check that post often for new sales including our updated Australian section (the ICYMI post explains the post in detail) – please note the addition of LeCreuset specials.
- Looking forward to 2022 cookbooks (updated with more exciting titles).
- Please be sure to check our Calendar for updates.
My Instagram is thecookbookjunkies.
Jenny and the EYB Team
Recently Indexed Titles
Our team of member and pro indexers are working hard indexing titles, both new and old. Below are just a few highlighted titles. A reminder: newly indexed titles will always show up at the top of the EYB Library and your Bookshelf so you will always know which titles have just been indexed. Recent indexed magazines can be found here. For information on member indexing, please see this roundup with more details.
- Joe’s Family Food: 100 Delicious, Easy Recipes to Enjoy Together by Joe Wicks
- Vegan Richa’s Instant Pot™ Cookbook: 150 Plant-based Recipes from Indian Cuisine and Beyond by Richa Hingle
- Jane Butel’s Tex-Mex Cookbook by Jane Butel
- The Jewish Holiday Baker: Recipes for Breads, Cakes, and Cookies for All the Holidays–and Any Time of the Year by Joan Nathan
- The Secrets of Jesuit Breadmaking: Recipes and Traditions from Jesuit Bakers Around the World by Brother Rick Curry
- Yawd: Modern Afro-Caribbean Recipes by Adrian Forte
- The Complete Vegan Cookbook: Over 150 Whole-Foods, Plant-Based Recipes and Techniques by Natural Gourmet
- Savoring Provence: Recipes and Reflections on Provencal Cooking by Diane Holuigue
- Soup of the Day, Revised Edition: 365 Recipes for Every Day of the Year by Kate McMillan
- Mod Mex: Cooking Vibrant Fiesta Flavors at Home by Joanna Pruess and Scott Linquist
Member Photo of the Week
Eggs with chorizo, asparagus and tomatoes (Huevos a la flamenca) from Milk Street: The World in a Skillet (page 91) by Christopher Kimball submitted by member shylastrath
Have you uploaded any of your own photos yet? Learn more! Please remember to update your profile with your Instagram name if you would like to be tagged in any photos that we share!
Featured Online Recipe
Recently, we uploaded our 1,352nd EYBDigital Preview where a selection of full sample pages are available including the titles below.
Note: To learn why you cannot add all EYBDigital Preview recipes to your Bookshelf, please read this Help page.
- A selection of pages and 7 recipes from Bake It. Slice It. Eat It.: One Pan, Over 90 Unbeatable Recipes and a Lot of Fun by The Exploding Bakery, Oliver Coysh and Tom Oxford – Pub date Aug 8th, 2022.
- A selection of pages and 2 recipes from Forever Beirut: Recipes and Stories from the Heart of Lebanon by Barbara Abdeni Massaad – Pub date Aug 23rd, 2022.
- A selection of pages and 2 recipes from Danielle Walker’s Healthy in a Hurry: Real Life, Real Food, Real Fast by Danielle Walker – Pub date Sep 6th, 2022.
- A selection of pages and 5 recipes from The Mediterranean Dish: 120 Bold and Healthy Recipes You’ll Make on Repeat by Suzy Karadsheh – Pub date Sep 13th, 2022.
The cookbook giveaway roundup shares all current giveaways including those open worldwide and to other regions.
- angiejackson on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- MarciK on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- MarciK on The Lodge at Black Pearl Cookbook – Worldwide Giveaway
- kennethjohngilmour on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- CatsintheKitchen on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- CatsintheKitchen on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Pamyoungvb on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Radu321 on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- virjeania on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Skamper on Sometimes the best things come in small packages