This week: Mochi makes everything better, recipes, EYBD Previews and moreMay 20, 2022 by Jenny
Mochi is a Japanese rice cake made of mochigome, a short-grain japonica glutinous rice, and sometimes other ingredients such as water, sugar, and cornstarch. This treat dates back to ancient China with the sweet paste making its way to Japan at the end of the Jōmon period (c. 14,000–300 BCE).
In February, I came across the Mochinut donut and wrote about that delicious experience for our members. This week a Food & Wine article from November of 2021 found its way into my Google recommendations – “Butter mochi will help you win every potluck.”
I am a huge fan of all things Asian (every baker needs this title Mooncakes and Milk Bread – review) so the above mentioned article sent me looking through our EYB Library for butter mochi (and mochi recipes). I hope to make Joanne Chang’s Butter mochi recipe from Pastry Love soon. Jane of the Cake Barn blog tested this recipe against another version which had been her to-go and determined that Joanne’s recipe was favored over her standby. By the way, the Cake Barn blog is filled with delectable recipes and inspiring photographs. I have bookmarked this site to explore and l recommend following her Instagram feed as well. So much deliciousness in the world and so little time.
We have over 300 recipes (84 online) in our Library for mochi related recipes. To further explore all things mochi, I recommend Mochi Magic which is filled with fun, approachable projects such as Kuri Manju (Baked buns with sweet bean filling) and Nutella and strawberries mochi. There are many recipes for all types of tempting fillings.
Another title that should be on your radar is Modern Asian Baking at Home (Jun 2022) which teaches the techniques and provides a foundation for Asian baking. Recipes shared here include Eggless mochi cheese puffs; Monstrous matcha miso cookies; and Spicy gochujang flourless chocolate cake. Learn more about this title and the author here.
Another upcoming cookbook to be excited about is Mochi, Cakes and Bakes (Nov 2022), another stunner of a title which has recipes for Tiramisu mochi; Vietnamese coffee tres leches; and Mochi dogs. The cover of Mochi, Cakes and Bakes may change. Be sure to preorder these two titles – because they offer unique and flavorful bakes.
The last week on Eat Your Books
Since our last roundup, Darcie has written these articles:
- Guild of Food Writers announces 25th Anniversary Awards finalists
- The history of to-go container art
- Keep your edge in the kitchen
Darcie’s weekly food news antipasto is shared every Sunday and the tag #foodnews brings up these information-packed posts from the most current to the first one. Darcie can be followed on Instagram at darcie_bakes.
Since our last roundup, I have posted the following:
- Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway (Worldwide)
- June 2022 Great Big Cookbook Club Summary
- Cookbook deals are frequently updated so check that post often for new sales including our updated Australian section (the ICYMI post explains the post in detail) – please note the addition of LeCreuset specials.
- Looking forward to 2022 cookbooks (updated with more exciting titles).
Please be sure to check our Calendar which has been recently updated this week including Rick Rodger’s new summer cake classes, book tours for Kwame Onwuachi (My America – a must have); Melinda Hammer (A Year at Catbird Cottage which is a stunning book) and Dominique Woolf in the UK (Dominique’s Kitchen – winner of Jamie Oliver’s cookbook show).
My Instagram is thecookbookjunkies.
Jenny and the EYB Team
Recently Indexed Titles
Our team of member and pro indexers are working hard indexing titles, both new and old. Below are just a few highlighted titles. A reminder: newly indexed titles will always show up at the top of the EYB Library and your Bookshelf so you will always know which titles have just been indexed. Recent indexed magazines can be found here. For information on member indexing, please see this roundup with more details.
- The Wellness Principles: Cooking for a Healthy Life by Gary Deng
- The Tin & Traybake Cookbook: 100 Delicious Sweet and Savoury Recipes by Sam Gates
- Moto: The Cookbook by Homaro Cantu
- Lioroooosh: Baking from my Tel Aviv Kitchen by Lior Mashiach
- My America: Recipes from a Young Black Chef by Kwame Onwuachi and Joshua David Stein
- The Brownie Diaries: My Recipes for Happy Times, Heartbreak and Everything in Between by Leah Hyslop
- The Essential Air Fryer Cookbook: The Only Book You Need for Your Small, Medium, or Large Air Fryer by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough
- Breadsong: How Baking Changed Our Lives by Kitty and Al Tait
- My Kitchen Table: 100 Sweet Treats and Puds by Mary Berry
- Real Food Fast: Over 140 Delicious, Quickly Prepared Recipes by Mary Berry
Member Photo of the Week
We have 535 online recipes indexed from King Arthur Baking.
Have you uploaded any of your own photos yet? Learn more! Please remember to update your profile with your Instagram name if you would like to be tagged in any photos that we share!
Featured Online Recipe
Add The Kitchn to your Bookshelf for 9,204 additional recipes
Recently, we uploaded our 1,338th EYBDigital Preview where a selection of full sample pages are available including the titles below.
Note: To learn why you cannot add all EYBDigital Preview recipes to your Bookshelf, please read this Help page.
- A selection of pages and 4 recipes from Ayla: A Feast of Nepali Dishes from Terai, Hills and Himalayas by Santosh Shah
- A selection of pages and 4 recipes from The Last Bite: A Whole New Approach to Making Desserts Through the Year by Anna Higham
- 3 recipes from The Modern Table: Kosher Recipes for Everyday Gatherings by Kim Kushner – Pub date Jun 28th, 2022
- A selection of pages and 8 full recipes from The Bread Book by Éric Kayser – Pub date Nov 23th, 2022
The cookbook giveaway roundup shares all current giveaways including those open worldwide and to other regions.
- sir_ken_g on Everything’s coming up ube
- coryphaeus on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- coryphaeus on Ayla – Cookbook Giveaway
- vinochic on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- MarciK on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- vinochic on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- vinochic on Ayla – Cookbook Giveaway
- chromiumman on Ayla – Cookbook Giveaway
- chromiumman on Cinnamon and Salt by Emiko Davies – Cookbook Giveaway
- chromiumman on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway