The last two weeks: Kitchen Arts & Letters clean out sale, Bonnie Slotnick used books, recipes, previews and moreApril 8, 2022 by Jenny
If you are in Manhattan from April 23rd through the 28th, Kitchen Arts & Letters is having a “clean out sale“. Due to recent donations of books from some of NYC’s leading chefs and culinary publishing professionals, their bookstore is overflowing with used books. They will combine these donated books with their own assortment of damaged and shelfworn stock to offer an amazing array of books, heavily marked down.
50% of all proceeds from Clean Out book sales, and 100% of all early admission sales (tickets for early admission on the 23rd are already sold out, but the sale will be opened to the public after 11 a.m. on that date) will be donated to Edible Schoolyard NYC in support of their mission to “cultivate healthy students and communities through hands-on cooking and gardening education, transforming children’s relationship with food.” Click here to learn more.
Another New York icon, Bonnie Slotnick Cookbooks, frequently obtains lots of used cookbook titles and posts photographs of these glorious treasures on her social media pages: Instagram and Facebook. Bonnie will ship books and is always happy to search for missing titles from your wish lists. Be sure to email her at email@example.com or call 212-989-8962 if a title on one of her social media posts catches your eye. (Leaving a comment on those posts about “wanting” a book is not the best method.)
Be sure to check out and support your local book stores around the world. We have a listing here and if you know of a store that we have missed, please let us know. Our calendar also shares bookstore events and often if an author is going to be making an instore visit these sellers will put aside a signed book for you and ship it to you. Recently, I noticed that a Scotish author was going to be visiting Omnivore Books, so I emailed Celia and ordered a signed copy of his title. I am always happy to support our brick and mortar bookstores and would probably never get the opportunity to purchase a signed copy of The Hebridean Baker‘s book otherwise.
The last two weeks on Eat Your Books
Since our last roundup, Darcie has written these articles:
- Are calzones better than pizza?
- How to avoid sticky baking situations
- The new ‘food fights’
- April Fool’s food pranks
- Eating with all your senses
- Convection ovens: yay or nay?
- The brownie continuum
Darcie’s weekly food news antipasto is shared every Sunday and the tag #foodnews brings up these information-packed posts from the most current to the first one. Darcie can be followed on Instagram at darcie_bakes.
Since our last roundup, I have posted the following:
- The Forest Feast Road Trip – Cookbook Giveaway (worldwide)
- April 2022 Great Big Cookbook Club Summary
- March 2022 New Cookbook Review
- March 2022 EYB Cookbook Club Summary
- Cookbook deals is frequently updated so check that post often for new sales including our updated Australian section (the ICYMI post explains the post in detail) – please note the addition of LeCreuset specials.
- Looking forward to 2022 cookbooks (updated with more exciting titles including a new book from Claire Saffitz!)
Jenny and the EYB Team
Recently Indexed Titles
Our team of member and pro indexers are working hard indexing titles, both new and old. Below are just a few highlights. A reminder: newly indexed titles will always show up at the top of the EYB Library and your Bookshelf so you will always know which titles have just been indexed. Recent indexed magazines can be found here. For information on member indexing, please see this roundup with more details.
- The Comfort Bake: Food That Warms the Heart by Sally Wise
- Vegan, at Times: 120+ Recipes for Every Day or Every So Often by Jessica Seinfeld
- Ayla: A Feast of Nepali Dishes from Terai, Hills and Himalayas by Santosh Shah
- Lanka Food: Serendipity & Spice by O Tama Carey
- Modern Pressure Cooking: The Comprehensive Guide to Stovetop and Electric Cookers, with Over 150 Recipes by Catherine Phipps
- Your Daily Veg: Modern, Fuss-Free Vegetarian Food by Joe Woodhouse
- Nistisima: The Secret to Delicious Vegan Cooking from the Mediterranean and Beyond by Georgina Hayden
- The Wok: Recipes and Techniques by J. Kenji López-Alt
- Korean American: Food that Tastes Like Home by Eric Kim
- Pizza Quest: My Never-Ending Search for the Perfect Pizza by Peter Reinhardt
- Salad Freak: Recipes to Feed a Healthy Obsession by Jess Damuck
- Half Baked Harvest Every Day: Recipes for Balanced, Flexible, Feel-Good Meals by Tieghan Gerard
- Serafina: Modern Italian Cuisine for Everyday Home Cooking by Vittorio Assaf, Fabio Granato and Lavinia Branca Snyder
- Not Your Mama’s Canning Book: Modern Canned Goods and What to Make with Them by Rebecca Lindamood
- Cooking With The 60-Minute Gourmet by Pierre Franey and Bryan Miller
- Chef Michael Smith’s Kitchen: 100 of My Favorite Easy Recipes by Michael Smith
- Plant Over Processed: 75 Simple & Delicious Plant-Based Recipes for Nourishing Your Body and Eating From the Earth by Andrea Hannemann
Member Photo of the Week
Have you uploaded any of your own photos yet? Learn more! Please remember to update your profile with your Instagram name if you would like to be tagged in any photos that we share!
Featured Online Recipe
Recently, we uploaded our 1,297th EYBDigital Preview where a selection of full sample pages are available including the titles below.
Note: To learn why you cannot add all EYBDigital Preview recipes to your Bookshelf, please read this Help page.
- 3 recipes from Gotham City Cocktails: Official Handcrafted Food & Drinks From the World of Batman by André Darlington
- 3 recipes from The Flexible Baker: 75 Delicious Recipes with Adaptable Options for Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Nut-free and Vegan Bakes by Jo Pratt
- A selection of pages and 7 recipes from The Green Barbecue Cookbook: Modern Vegetarian Grill and BBQ Recipes by Martin Nordin – Pub date Apr 14th, 2022
- A selection of pages and 8 recipes from Outside: Recipes for a Wilder Way of Eating by Gill Meller – Pub date May 12th, 2022
Click on the Blue Link Below to Enter
- Enter our US/CA giveaway to win one of three copies of The Savory Baker: 150 Creative Recipes, from Classic to Modern by America’s Test Kitchen Editors. Contest expires Apr 20th, 2022.
- Enter our worldwide giveaway to win one of three copies of Forgotten Skills of Cooking: 700 Recipes Showing You Why the Time-Honored Ways Are the Best by Darina Allen. The publisher is providing three copies to US members and EYB is providing one copy worldwide. Contest expires Apr 25th, 2022.
The cookbook giveaway roundup shares all current giveaways including those open worldwide and to other regions.
- angiejackson on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- MarciK on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- MarciK on The Lodge at Black Pearl Cookbook – Worldwide Giveaway
- kennethjohngilmour on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- CatsintheKitchen on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- CatsintheKitchen on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Pamyoungvb on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Radu321 on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- virjeania on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Skamper on Sometimes the best things come in small packages