This week: Espécies de São Jorge cookies, EYBD Previews, giveaways and moreMarch 18, 2022 by Jenny
Espécies de São Jorge is a regional sweet from the island of São Jorge, an island in the central group of the Azores archipelago and part of Portugal. This “spiced cookie” is ring-shaped and the dough is cut across the top, leaving a beautiful design of the brownish filling. When I first came across this recipe on The Five Marias’ website, I was intrigued by the uniqueness of the cookie. (I have bookmarked their site to explore when time permits.)
The Azores government website states: “Previously, the “espécies” were named “bichos doces” (sweet animals), in which the filling was made with homemade bread, roasted and ground in “atafonas” (a mill moved by hand or animal). The roasted bread was crunched inside a bag with a “mexilhão”, then it was sifted and mixed with other spices. After cooling they would roll them up by hand in small portions, the “bichanas” that served to line the dough entirely.”
I have added the recipe from The Five Marias’ website to our online recipes as it was one of the few that was in English. The Marias recommend watching a video of how this cookie is prepared before attempting it.
Let me know in the comments if you have made this treat before.
The last week on Eat Your Books
Since our last roundup, Darcie has written these articles:
- JBF Awards: Chef and Restaurant nominees; Lifetime Achievement; Humanitarian of the Year and Leadership
- Le Creuset unveils a new bread oven
- Celebrate Pi day with pie!
- Kitchen trends with a nod to the past
Darcie’s weekly food news antipasto is shared every Sunday and the tag #foodnews brings up these information-packed posts from the most current to the first one. Darcie can be followed on Instagram at darcie_bakes.
Since our last roundup, I have posted the following:
- Gift Guide for Mother’s Day (UK edition)
- April 2022 Great Big Cookbook Club Summary
- Spring 2022 Cookbook Preview
- Cookbook deals is frequently updated so check that post often for new sales including our updated Australian section (the ICYMI post explains the post in detail) – please note the addition of LeCreuset specials.
- Looking forward to 2022 cookbooks (updated with more exciting titles!)
Jenny and the EYB Team
Recently Indexed Titles
Our team of member and pro indexers are working hard indexing titles, both new and old. Below are just a few highlights. A reminder: newly indexed titles will always show up at the top of the EYB Library and your Bookshelf so you will always know which titles have just been indexed. Recent indexed magazines can be found here. For information on member indexing, please see this roundup with more details.
- The Flexible Baker: 75 Delicious Recipes with Adaptable Options for Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Nut-free and Vegan Bakes by Jo Pratt
- Ammu: Indian Home Cooking to Nourish Your Soul by Asma Khan
- A Good Day to Bake: Simple Baking Recipes for Every Mood by Benjamina Ebuehi
- Taste Tibet: Family Recipes from the Himalayas by Julie Kleeman and Yeshi Jampa
- Bagels, Schmears, and a Nice Piece of Fish: A Whole Brunch of Recipes to Make at Home by Cathy Barrow
- Vegan at Home: Recipes for a Modern Plant-Based Lifestyle by Solla Eiriksdottir
- Life of Fire: Mastering the Life of Pit-Cooked Barbecue and the Smokehouse by Pat Martin
- The Green Batch Cook Book: Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes for Busy People by Sam Gates
- Harold Dieterle’s Kitchen Notebook: Hundreds of Recipes, Tips, and Techniques for Cooking Like a Chef at Home by Harold Dieterle and Andrew Friedman
- Sweet Basil, Garlic, Tomatoes, and Chives: The Vegetable Dishes of Tuscany and Provence by Diana Shaw
- Beautiful Boards: 50 Amazing Snack Boards for any Occasion by Maegan Brown
Member Photo of the Week
Raisin-frangipane spiral buns (Rosinenschnecken) from Classic German Baking: The Very Best Recipes for Traditional Favorites, from Pfeffernüsse to Streuselkuchen (page 202) by Luisa Weiss submitted by member anya_sf
Have you uploaded any of your own photos yet? Learn more! Please remember to update your profile with your Instagram name if you would like to be tagged in any photos that we share!
Featured Online Recipe
Recently, we uploaded our 1,287th EYBDigital Preview where a selection of full sample pages are available including the titles below.
Note: To learn why you cannot add all EYBDigital Preview recipes to your Bookshelf, please read this Help page.
- A selection of pages and 6 full recipes from Cinnamon and Salt: Ciccheti in Venice: Small Bites From The Lagoon City by Emiko Davies – – Pub date Apr 28th, 2022
- A selection of pages and 8 full recipes from The Spanish Home Kitchen: Simple, Seasonal Recipes and Memories from My Home by José Pizarro – Pub date Jun 7th, 2022
- A selection of pages and 7 full recipes from Green Kitchen: Quick & Slow: 100 Joyful Vegetarian Recipes to Make Busy Weekdays Easy and Long Weekends Fantastic by Luise Vindahl and David Frenkiel – Pub date Jun 9th, 2022
- A selection of pages and 7 full recipes from Tomato: 80 Recipes Celebrating the Extraordinary Tomato by Clare Thomson – Pub date Jun 23rd, 2022
Click on the Blue Link Below to Enter
- Enter our US giveaway to win one of three copies of Save-It-Forward Suppers: A Simple Strategy to Save Time, Money, and Sanity by Cyndi Kane. Contest expires Mar 31st, 2022.
- Enter our US giveaway to win a prize package consisting of a signed copy of The Fresh Eggs Daily Cookbook: Over 100 Fabulous Recipes to Use Eggs in Unexpected Ways by Lisa Steele as well as a selection of products and ingredients. Contest expires Apr 2nd, 2022.
The cookbook giveaway roundup shares all current giveaways including those open worldwide and to other regions.
- angiejackson on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- MarciK on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- MarciK on The Lodge at Black Pearl Cookbook – Worldwide Giveaway
- kennethjohngilmour on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- CatsintheKitchen on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- CatsintheKitchen on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Pamyoungvb on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Radu321 on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- virjeania on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Skamper on Sometimes the best things come in small packages