The last two weeks: Cookbooks that celebrate the cuisine and people of Ukraine #CookForUkraine; EYBD cookbook previews; giveaways and moreMarch 4, 2022 by Jenny
Our hearts are with the people of Ukraine during this unfathomable time. Besides donating to great causes (see a few below), in an effort to do something I am pulling out my cookbooks to cook and show my support for this country. In that vein, today I’ve covered cookbooks devoted to Ukrainian cuisine that bring beauty and inspiration into my kitchen. Many books in our Library cover Eastern European cuisine and may contain Ukrainian recipes. For purposes of this summary, I’ll include those which are mainly Ukrainian in scope (including Alissa Timoshkina who is working on fundraising for Ukraine).
Darcie mentioned a few of these books briefly in her Food News Antipasto on Sunday, today I’ll include EYBD previews and reviews if available. The first section of books are those that I own, have reviewed and love.
- Summer Kitchens: Recipes and Reminiscences from Every Corner of Ukraine by Olia Hercules (review)
- Mamushka: Recipes from Ukraine & Beyond by Olia Hercules
- Black Sea: Dispatches and Recipes, Through Darkness and Light by Caroline Eden (review)
- Beyond Borscht: Old World Recipes from Ukraine and Eastern Europe by Tatyana Nesteruk (her The European Cake Cookbook title is amazing).
- The Veselka Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from the Landmark Restaurant in New York’s East Village by Natalie Danford and Tom Birchard
- Salt & Time: Recipes from a Modern Russian Kitchen by Alissa Timoshkina (review)
Other titles (a few of which I just ordered from Omnivore Books):
- Baba’s Kitchen: Ukrainian Soul Food with Stories from the Village by Raisa Marika Stohyn
- Yetta’s ‘Old Country’ Family Favorites: “From the Villages of the Ukraine to the Oklahoma Great Plains” by Kathryn Seigel Levine
- Festive Ukrainian Cooking by Marta Pisetska Farley
- Traditional Ukrainian Cookery by Savella Stechishin
- The New Ukrainian Cookbook by Annette Ogrodnik Corona
Cookbook authors Alissa Timoshkina and Olia Hercules along with Layla Yarjani of Next Gen London and Clerkenwell Boy (Cook for Syria and Bake for Beirut), have set up the #CookforUkraine movement to increase awareness of the crisis in Ukraine and raise funds to aid children and families displaced by the current situation. You can get involved by hosting supper clubs at home, or cooking for Ukraine and donating here: Just Giving fundraiser. This fundraiser shares links to recipes that you may make to show your support. There are also 100 online Ukrainian recipes to try in our Library.
Again as Darcie mentioned on Sunday, Chef José Andrés’ World Central Kitchen is busy feeding thousands of people who are leaving Ukraine and those families who are remaining in their country.
The last two weeks at Eat Your Books
Since our last roundup, Darcie has written these articles:
- Spice support: sumac
- Mardi Gras returns to New Orleans
- The internet is adoring this restaurant review
- RUSA publishes a list of essential cookbooks for 2022
- EatingWell Magazine to end print publication
- Inside the Ebony test kitchen
- Tips for baking with chocolate
- Food delivery is looking up
Darcie’s weekly food news antipasto is shared every Sunday and the tag #foodnews brings up these information-packed posts from the most current to the first one. Darcie can be followed on Instagram at darcie_bakes.
Since our last roundup, I have posted the following:
- Cooking shows you should know about: The Julia Child Challenge; Top Chef returns and more
- The Savory Baker – Cookbook Giveaway (US/CA)
- Food IQ: Cookbook Giveaway (US)
- February 2022 New Cookbook Review
- February 2022 EYB Cookbook Club Summary
- The Steger Homestead Kitchen – Cookbook Giveaway and Quick Bites (Worldwide)
- March 2022 Great Big Cookbook Club Summary (updated)
- Spring 2022 Cookbook Preview
- Cookbook deals is frequently updated so check that post often for new sales including our updated Australian section (the ICYMI post explains the post in detail) – please note the addition of LeCreuset specials.
- Looking forward to 2022 cookbooks (updated with more exciting titles!)
Please be sure to check our Calendar for updated events including newly added Spring baking classes with Rick Rodgers; Joe Wicks’ Waterstones’ tour for his new book; and be sure to check out the bookstore and cooking school sections for new events. My Instagram is thecookbookjunkies.
Jenny and the EYB Team
Recently Indexed Titles
Our team of member and pro indexers are working hard indexing titles, both new and old. Below are just a few highlights. A reminder: newly indexed titles will always show up at the top of the EYB Library and your Bookshelf so you will always know which titles have just been indexed. Recent indexed magazines can be found here. For information on member indexing, please see this roundup with more details.
- The Painter, the Cook and the Art of Cucina by Anna Del Conte and Val Archer
- Cake Chic by Peggy Porschen
- Leon Happy One-Pot Vegetarian by Rebecca Seal and Chantal Symons
- Great British Cooking: A Well-Kept Secret: More Than 200 Recipes–from Meat Pies to Plum Pudding–Adapted for American Cooks by Jane Garmey
- New Vegetarian: Bold and Beautiful Recipes for Every Occasion by Cecilia Brooks Brown
- The Southern Bite Cookbook by Stacey Little
- Whitewater Cooks More Beautiful Food by Sally Adams
- Saka Saka: Adventures in African Cooking: South of the Sahara by Anto Cocagne – 6 online recipes to try now
- Lemon Love and Olive Oil by Mina Stone – 1 online recipe to try now
- Ice-creams and Iced Desserts: Over 150 Irresistable Ice Cream Treats by Joanna Farrow and Sara Lewis
- Eat Something: A Wise Sons Cookbook for Jews Who Love Food and Food Lovers Who Love Jews by Evan Bloom and Rachel Levin
- Rustic French Cooking Made Easy: Authentic, Regional Flavors from Provence, Brittany, Alsace and Beyond by Audrey Le Goff – 3 EYBD recipes to try now
- The Tahini Table: Go Beyond Hummus with 100 Recipes for Every Meal and in Between by Amy Zitelman and Andrew Schloss – 4 online recipes to try now
- The Sweet Side of Sourdough: 60 Irresistible Recipes for Pastries, Buns, Cakes, Cookies and More by Caroline Schiff – 3 EYBD recipes to try now
- The Magnolia Bakery Handbook: A Complete Guide for the Home Baker by Bobby Lloyd
- Damn Good Chinese Food: Dumplings, Egg Rolls, Bao Buns, Sesame Noodles, Roast Duck, Fried Rice, and More―50 Recipes Inspired by Life in Chinatown by Chris Cheung
- Home Made: Cooking at Home with Melbourne’s Best Chefs, Cooks and Restaurants by Broadsheet Media
- 101 Epic Dishes: Recipes That Teach You How to Make the Classics Even More Delicious by Jet and Ali Tila – 3 EYBD recipes to try now
- The Savory Baker: 150 Creative Recipes, from Classic to Modern by America’s Test Kitchen – 5 EYBD recipes to try now
- La Vida Verde: Plant-Based Mexican Cooking with Authentic Flavor by Jocelyn Ramirez – 2 EYBD recipes to try now
- Fridge Love: Organize Your Refrigerator for a Healthier, Happier Life―with 100 Recipes by Kristen Hong
- Notes from a Young Black Chef: A Memoir by Kwame Onwuachi and Joshua David Stein (Note: My America: Recipes from a Young Black Chef will be released in May)
- The Food Clock: A Year of Cooking Seasonally and Nove Cucina: Irresistible Recipes from an Italian Trattoria by Ed Halmagyi
- Food IQ: 100 Questions, Answers, and Recipes to Raise Your Cooking Smarts by Daniel Holzman and Matt Rodbard – 1 EYBD recipe to try now – see giveaway
Member Photo of the Week
Bubbie’s flourless chocolate cake with raspberry whipped cream from The Cake Book: Beautiful Sweet Treats for Every Craving (page 28) by Rebecca Firth submitted by member cookingbychapter
Have you uploaded any of your own photos yet? Learn more! Please remember to update your profile with your Instagram name if you would like to be tagged in any photos that we share!
Featured Online Recipe
Add Great British Chefs – Chef Recipes to your bookshelf for 5,211 additional recipes
Recently, we uploaded our 1,275th EYBDigital Preview where a selection of full sample pages are available including the titles below.
Note: To learn why you cannot add all EYBDigital Preview recipes to your Bookshelf, please read this Help page.
- A selection of pages and 14 full recipes from Portugal: The Cookbook by Leandro Carreira Pub date: Mar 24th, 2022
- A selection of pages and 4 full recipes from Shaq’s Family Style: Championship Recipes for Feeding Family and Friends by Shaquille O’Neal Pub date: Apr 5th, 2022
- A selection of pages and 5 full recipes from The Dusty Knuckle: Seriously Good Bread, Knockout Sandwiches and Everything In Between by Max Tobias, Rebecca Oliver and Daisy Terry Pub date: Apr 14th, 2022
- A selection of pages and 2 full recipes with many components from Core by Clare Smyth Pub date: May 5th, 2022
Click on the Blue Link Below to Enter
- Enter our US/UK/AU/NZ giveaway to win one of three copies of Three: Acid, Texture, Contrast: The Essential Foundations to Redefine Everyday Cooking by Selin Kiazim. Contest ends Mar 12th, 2022.
- Enter our worldwide giveaway to win a prize package that includes: a BonJour Voyager Glass Teapot, a set of BonJour Cappuccino Cups Set, and a BonJour Pro Torch along with three cookbooks Cake; In Love with Paris; and Rose’s Ice Cream Bliss. Contest ends Mar 19th, 2022.
The cookbook giveaway roundup shares all current giveaways including those open worldwide and to other regions.
- Jow on The Lodge at Black Pearl Cookbook – Worldwide Giveaway
- Jow on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- GrooveHeart on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- cassandralove on Another warning about self-cleaning ovens
- Starry_Joce on Cinnamon and Salt by Emiko Davies – Cookbook Giveaway
- Starry_Joce on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Starry_Joce on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- dafur on Michael Ruhlman mulls over whether food writing is important
- love2chow on Berber&Q: On Vegetables: Cookbook Giveaway
- love2chow on The Lodge at Black Pearl Cookbook – Worldwide Giveaway