This week: Breads of the world, recipes, cookbook previews and moreJanuary 21, 2022 by Jenny
As I was relaxing and scrolling YouTube, I came across a video of how bakers in Samarkand bake 12,000 loaves of their unique bread a day. There are several videos on this subject if you want to explore more.
I find it fascinating how they shape their bread and almost dive into the ovens to attach it to the hot walls to bake. I would absolutely need a safety harness because I lack grace in movement – along with a fear of heights and that oven is deep!
A while back I ordered marking stamps to have at the ready to create some of the beautiful breads I had read about.
In my quest for international bread knowledge, I also became interested in Laufabrauð which is Icelandic leaf bread and a friend was able to track down a leaf cutting iron for me.
There are a few books that I have and enjoy which offer some insight into international bread baking: The Hot Bread Kitchen Cookbook: Artisanal Baking from Around the World; Global Baker: Inspirational Breads, Cakes, Pastries & Desserts with International Influences; Savory Baking from the Mediterranean: Focaccias, Flatbreads, Rusks, Tarts, and Other Breads; and Breaking Breads: A New World of Israeli Baking. We have over 48,000 bread recipes (online recipes) in our EYB Library and there are over 1,800 cookbooks devoted to bread.
Other articles of interest:
- The Fabled Flatbreads of Uzbekistan
- Uzbek stamped bread
- What makes Silk Road flatbreads so fabled in Uzbekistan?
- Leaf Bread (Laufabrauð)
The last week at Eat Your Books
Since our last roundup, Darcie has written these articles:
- All about 00 flour
- Ready, set, organize!
- How much attention do you pay to food awards?
- Get ready to celebrate the year of the tiger
Darcie’s weekly food news antipasto is shared every Sunday and the tag #foodnews brings up these information-packed posts from the most current to the first one. Darcie can be followed on Instagram at darcie_bakes.
Since our last roundup, I have posted the following:
- Gennaro’s Limoni: Vibrant Italian Recipes Celebrating the Lemon (US/UK/Worldwide)
- Three by Selin Kiazim Cookbook Giveaway (US/UK/AU/NZ)
- February 2022 Great Big Cookbook Club Summary
- Cookbook deals is frequently updated so check that post often for new sales (the ICYMI post explains the post in detail) – please note the addition of LeCreuset specials.
- Looking forward to 2022 cookbooks (updated)
Please be sure to check our Calendar for updated events. My Instagram is thecookbookjunkies.
Jenny and the EYB Team
Recently Indexed Titles
Our team of member and pro indexers are working hard indexing titles, both new and old. Below are just a few highlights. A reminder: newly indexed titles will always show up at the top of the EYB Library and your Bookshelf so you will always know which titles have just been indexed. Recent indexed magazines can be found here. For information on member indexing, please see this roundup with more details.
- A Middle Eastern Feast by Claudia Roden
- The Sicily Cookbook: Authentic Recipes from a Mediterranean Island by Cettina Vicenzino
- Christmas at River Cottage by Lucy Brazier
- King Arthur Baking Company: The Essential Cookie Companion by King Arthur Baking
- Fix-It and Forget-It New Cookbook: 250 Slow Cooker Recipes by Phyllis Good
- Honestly Healthy for Life: Healthy Alternatives for Everyday Eating by Natasha Corrett and Vicki Edgson
- MaryJane’s Cast Iron Kitchen by MaryJane Butters
- Good Enough: A Cookbook: Embracing the Joys of Imperfection and Practicing Self-Care in the Kitchen by Leanne Brown
- The Glass Pantry: Preserving Seasonal Flavors by Georgeanne Brennan
- Savory Dinner Pies from Around the Globe: 70 Delicious Recipes from Around the World by Ken Haedrich
- Nom Nom Paleo Let’s Go!: Simple Feasts + Healthy Eats by Michelle Tam and Henry Fong
- The Bread Machine Book by Marjie Lambert
- Vegetarian Entrees That Won’t Leave You Hungry by Lukas Volger
Member Photo of the Week
Savoury oat porridge with ginger-garlic crumbs from Ottolenghi Test Kitchen: Shelf Love (page 36) by Yotam Ottolenghi and Noor Murad submitted by member Nkrieda78
Have you uploaded any of your own photos yet? Learn more! Please remember to update your profile with your Instagram name if you would like to be tagged in any photos that we share!
Featured Online Recipe
Groundhog day pudding shots from Sweet ReciPEAs
For more fun recipes be sure to check out Peabody’s blog and her cookbook Holy Sweet!: 60 Indulgent Recipes for Bigger, Better Desserts
Recently we uploaded our 1,223rd EYBDigital Preview where a selection of full sample pages is available for the following cookbooks.
Learn more about EYBDigital Previews.
Note: To learn why you cannot add all EYBDigital Preview recipes to your Bookshelf, please read this Help page.
- A selection of pages and 2 recipes from Unbelievably Vegan: 100+ Life-Changing, Plant-Based Recipes by Charity Morgan pub date Jan 18th, 2022.
- A selection of pages and 3 recipes from Lanka Food: Serendipity & Spice by O Tama Carey pub date Mar 2nd, 2022.
- A selection of pages and 3 recipes from Natural Harry: Delicious Plant-Based Summer Recipes by Harry Birrell pub date Mar 1`8th, 2022.
- A selection of pages and 9 recipes from Curry Guy BBQ: 100 Curry Classics to Cook Over Fire or on your Barbecue by Dan Toombs – pub date May 12th, 2022.
Click on the Blue Link Below to Enter
- Enter our worldwide giveaway to win an autographed copy of My Cookbook Passion: Culinary History and Adventure in Exploring My Collection by Pamela Kure Grogan. Contest expires Jan 29th, 2022.
- Enter our US/worldwide giveaway to win a copy of One Tin Bakes Easy: Foolproof Cakes, Traybakes, Bars and Bites from Gluten-free to Vegan and Beyond by Edd Kimber. Contest expires Jan 30th, 2022.
The cookbook giveaway roundup shares all current giveaways including those open worldwide and to other regions.
- All Posts (6193)
- Antipasto (1796)
- Author Articles (237)
- Book News (894)
- Cookbook Giveaways (880)
- Cookbook Lovers (242)
- Cooking Tips (89)
- Culinary News (289)
- Food Biz People (517)
- Food Online (719)
- Holidays & Celebrations (236)
- New Cookbooks (127)
- Recipes (1356)
- Shelf Life With Susie (231)
- What's New on EYB (121)
- sarahteertzah on Cookbook Giveaway: Baking by Feel
- rkosully on Cookbook Giveaway: RecipeTin Eats & Emile Henry oven; Quick Bites
- GiselleMarie on Too many (celebrity) cooks in the (TV) kitchen
- dnortje31 on Too many (celebrity) cooks in the (TV) kitchen
- cellenly on Cookbook/prize package giveaway: My Vermont Table
- cellenly on Cookbook Giveaway: The Kids Book of Challah
- tmjellicoe on Too many (celebrity) cooks in the (TV) kitchen
- roxlet on Cookbook Giveaway: RecipeTin Eats & Emile Henry oven; Quick Bites
- michalow on Giveaway: Hoppers: The Cookbook
- michalow on Cookbook Giveaway: On the Curry Trail & an Emile Henry stew pot