This week: Supporting our food community; recipes; cookbook giveaways and EYBD PreviewsOctober 22, 2021 by Jenny
Rose Levy Beranbaum reached out to me this week. As you can imagine, she was beyond disappointed that her latest book The Cookie Bible has been shelved until next fall/autumn due to shipping delays. Rose had a number of events planned and has turned a few of those events into discussions of her brilliant title Rose’s Baking Basics. On Nov 6th, Rose will be on Virginia Willis’ weekly Friday taping of Cookbooks with Virginia discussing that title as well as offering baking tips for the holidays so let’s all tune in to support Rose (and Virginia).
Cookbooks with Virginia is all about cookbooks! Join Virginia each week at 11:30 am EST for her LIVE stream featuring your favorite cookbook authors on her Facebook Page and YouTube Channel. (You can also catch it later on IGTV.) Make sure to follow along and enter to win a FREE copy of the cookbook of the week every Friday morning on Instagram. You’ll get to ask questions, learn a new recipe from the featured cookbook, and enter to win the cookbook of the week!
There are loads of virtual events (many of them free) shared on our calendar. The calendar is updated with additional events including those at Williams-Sonoma: Emily Hutchinson’s baking with kids series (her new book is amazing and I’ll have more on that in our monthly cookbook review) and Nov 10th Joshua McFadden’s Grains for Every Season (equally amazing). Our authors and cookbook stores appreciate our signing up for these events and tuning in. Of course, buying cookbooks and supporting brick and mortar stores around the world by ordering a book or two (or ten) is always appreciated.
No matter where you buy a book, a review on Amazon helps authors immensely and drives sales – not only on Amazon but independent booksellers as well. Preorders are important. An author recently stated that the number of preorders determines the amount of money that is slated for publicity.
A note on supporting our chefs and restaurants who have been struggling for almost two years now. This week a chef shared on his Instagram stories (and I cannot remember who it was) a breakdown of how prices for food and other supplies have skyrocketed over the last six to twelve month. He asked for support by not complaining if your meal tab is a bit higher than it has been. Also, when my family orders in or we eat out, we tip very generously. Restaurant workers are overworked, sometimes doing the job that two people had done previously. If we can afford to, we can make things a little better for them by padding their tips a bit.
An update about our new wishlist feature – you are now able to share your wishlist with others by copying the URL at the top of the screen once you have chosen the wishlist filter.
The last week on the blog
Since our last roundup, Darcie has written these articles:
Darcie’s weekly food news antipasto is shared every Sunday and the tag #foodnews brings up these information-packed posts from the most current to the first one. Darcie can be followed on Instagram at darcie_bakes.
Darcie, Jane and I both contribute to our GBBO recap posts. All GBBO related posts are tagged #gbbo2021.
Since our last roundup, I have posted the following:
- Peace, Love & Pasta – Cookbook Giveaway with a Pasta Machine (US/CA)
- Baking with Dorie & Emile Henry Tarte Tatin baker Giveaway (US/CA)
- The Best of Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day – Cookbook Giveaway (Worldwide)
- November 2021 Great Big Cookbook Club Summary
- Looking forward to 2022 cookbooks (updated: note the addition of a debut book from Rahul Mandal under Oct 2022)
Jenny and the EYB Team
Recently Indexed Titles
Our team of member and pro indexers continue to impress, below are just a few highlights. Recently indexed titles will always show up at the top of the EYB Library so you will always know which titles have just been indexed. Recent indexed magazines can be found here.
- Summer at Home by Annabel and Rose Langbein
- A Cook’s Book: The Essential Nigel Slater by Nigel Slater
- The Kitchen Studio: Culinary Creations by Artists by Phaidon editors
- That Sounds So Good: 100 Real-Life Recipes for Every Day of the Week by Carla Lalli Music
- Lidia’s a Pot, a Pan, and a Bowl: Simple Recipes for Perfect Meals by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich and Tanya Bastianich Manuali
- Baking with Dorie: Sweet, Salty & Simple by Dorie Greenspan
- Baking with Fortitude: Sourdough Cakes and Bakes by Dee Rettali
- Egg of the Universe by Bryony Lancaster and Harry Lancaster
- Ramsay in 10: Delicious Recipes Made in a Flash by Gordon Ramsay
- The Best of Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: Favorite Recipes from BreadIn5 by Zoë François and Jeff Hertzberg
- Afro Vegan: Family Recipes from a British-Nigerian Kitchen by Zoe Alakija
- The Little Library Year: Recipes and Reading to Suit Each Season by Kate Young
- Modernist Pizza by Nathan Myhrvold and Francisco Migoya – promotion coming next week. This set of books has been indexed by volume number – see the note in the Library record or add the individual volumes to your bookshelf for a full index
Member Photo of the Week
Apple tart from Dessert Person: Recipes and Guidance for Baking with Confidence (page 91) by Claire Saffitz submitted by member Astrid5555
Have you uploaded any of your own photos yet? Learn more! Please remember to update your profile with your Instagram name if you would like to be tagged in any photos that we share!
Featured Online Recipe
Add The Kitchn to your bookshelf for 8,538 additional recipes.
Recently we uploaded our 1,177th EYBDigital Preview where a selection of full sample pages is available for the following cookbooks.
Note: To learn why you cannot add all EYBDigital Preview recipes to your Bookshelf, please read this Help page.
- A selection of pages and 4 recipes from Summer at Home by Annabel and Rose Langbein
- A selection of pages and 5 recipes from Gennaro’s Limoni: Vibrant Italian Recipes Celebrating the Lemon by Gennaro Contaldo
- 6 recipes from Ottolenghi Test Kitchen: Shelf Love by Yotam Ottolenghi and Noor Murad – North American release Nov 2, 2021
- 2 recipes from Ashia’s Table: Family Recipes from India and Beyond by Ashia Ismail-Singer – US reissue Dec 14, 2021 previously released in New Zealand in 2018 under My Indian Kitchen
Click on the Blue Link Below to Enter
- Enter our US/UK/AU/NZ giveaway to win one of three copies of Bowls and Broths: Build a Bowl of Flavour From Scratch, with Dumplings, Noodles, and More by Pippa Middlehurst. Contest ends Nov 15th, 2021.
- Enter our US/UK/AU/NZ giveaway to win one of four copies of Amber & Rye: A Baltic Food Journey: Estonia • Latvia • Lithuania by Zuza Zak. Contest ends Nov 17th, 2021.
The cookbook giveaway roundup shares all current giveaways.
- greentoad on Atsuko Ikeda – Author Quick Bites & Cookbook Set Giveaway
- greentoad on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- hawaiieat on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- hawaiieat on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- hawaiieat on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- pfgarden on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- reader1trees on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- reader1trees on Cinnamon and Salt by Emiko Davies – Cookbook Giveaway