This week: A few new baking books from NZ and the UK, author tour/class updates, recipes and moreOctober 15, 2021 by Jenny
Since August our entire team at EYB have been busier than normal. Speaking just for me, there are books to review, promotions to set up, monthly cookbook reviews to write up and more. Our staff is working hard to keep our cookbook corner of the world up-to-date for our members.
Today, I want to share with you a few books that bakers will want to add to their wishlists.
First up, Saffron Swirls & Cardamom Dust: Sweet Sensational Spice by Ashia Ismail-Singer was published in New Zealand yesterday. This title is an explosion of vibrant colors and flavors filled with stunning imagery and tempting bakes. Saffron Swirls is written by the author of My Indian Kitchen (2018 NZ) which will be published in the US in December under the title Ashia’s Table: Family Recipes from India and Beyond.
Just flipping through the pages fills me with inspiration – see the collage of photos above. The spices in these bakes are exciting and the resulting desserts are showstoppers. One can never have enough baking books!
Speaking of baking books, Peter Sawkins, winner of last year’s GBBO has just released his debut cookbook: Peter Bakes: 100+ Irresistible Recipes for Teatime Treats, Showstopper Cakes, Yummy Puddings and More. I just came across this book and have ordered it because I must own all things GBBO (and well all things baking to be truthful). I should be able to tell you more when our October new cookbook review is published. For those of you in the UK, Peter has a few events scheduled at Topping & Co. Also there is an event with Prue Leith at Blackwell’s on Oct 29th. My huge post which shares all titles GBBO related can be found here.
We just reached 5,000 followers on Instagram! Come join us there.
The last week on the blog
Since our last roundup, Darcie has written these articles:
Darcie’s weekly food news antipasto is shared every Sunday and the tag #foodnews brings up these information-packed posts from the most current to the first one. Darcie can be followed on Instagram at darcie_bakes.
Darcie, Jane and I both contribute to our GBBO recap posts. All GBBO related posts are tagged #gbbo2021.
Since our last roundup, I have posted the following:
- Liguria – Cookbook Giveaway (US)
- Making lemonade out of lemons by supporting Sharon Wee
- Makan by Elizabeth Haigh withdrawn from publication after controversy
- November 2021 Great Big Cookbook Club Summary
- Looking forward to 2022 cookbooks (updated)
Be sure to check our calendar for new additions including Gino D’Acampo’s UK tour which begins soon; Emily Hutchinson’s virtual cookie decorating class at Williams-Sonoma is set for Oct 19th (I will be there!); and a reminder Dorie will be joining Brian Hart Hoffman for Williams-Sonoma’s online baking school on Oct 18th (I will be there as well!). This week I’ve added loads of new events for US authors, bookstores and cooking schools so be sure to scroll through the calendar.
Jenny and the EYB Team
Recently Indexed Titles
Our team of member and pro indexers continue to impress, below are a few highlights. Recently indexed titles will always show up at the top of the EYB Library so you will always know which titles have just been indexed. Recent indexed magazines can be found here.
- Advent: Festive German Bakes to Celebrate the Coming of Christmas by Anja Dunk
- Gennaro’s Limoni: Vibrant Italian Recipes Celebrating the Lemon by Gennaro Contaldo
- One Tin Bakes Easy: Foolproof Cakes, Traybakes, Bars and Bites from Gluten-free to Vegan and Beyond by Edd Kimber (UK) – US release Nov 16, 2021.
- Earth to Table Bakes: Everyday Recipes for Baking with Good Ingredients by Bettina Schormann and Erin Schiestel
- Provecho: 100 Vegan Mexican Recipes to Celebrate Culture and Community by Edgar Castrejon
- Sugar, I Love You: A Pastry Chef’s Ode to Sugar in All Its Glory by Ravneet Gill
- Mooncakes and Milk Bread: Sweet and Savory Recipes Inspired by Chinese Bakeries by Kristina Cho
- Martha Stewart’s Fruit Desserts: 100+ Delicious Ways to Savor the Best of Every Season by Martha Stewart
- Gastro Obscura: A Food Adventure by Cecily Wong and Dylan Thuras and Atlas Obscura
- The Korean Vegan Cookbook: Reflections and Recipes from Omma’s Kitchen by Joanne Lee Molinaro
- Supergood: Epic Plant-Based Comfort Food For Everyone by Chelsea Winter
- Celebrate with Kim-Joy: Cute Cakes and Bakes to Make Every Occasion Special by Kim-Joy
Member Photo of the Week
Romanian pork and white bean soup with vinegar and caraway (Ciorba de porc) from Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street Magazine, Sep/Oct 2021 (page 7) submitted by member Maefleur
Have you uploaded any of your own photos yet? Learn more! Please remember to update your profile with your Instagram name if you would like to be tagged in any photos that we share!
Featured Online Recipe
Add Great British Chefs to your bookshelf for 5,032 additional recipes.
Recently we uploaded our 1,171st EYBDigital Preview where a selection of full sample pages is available for the following cookbooks.
Note: To learn why you cannot add all EYBDigital Preview recipes to your Bookshelf, please read this Help page.
- A selection of pages and 5 recipes from Poppy Cooks: The Food You Need by Poppy O’Toole
- A selection of pages and 2 recipes from How to Bake Anything Gluten-Free: Over 100 Recipes for Everything from Cakes to Cookies, Doughnuts to Desserts, Bread to Festive Bakes by Becky Excel
- A selection of pages and 3 recipes from Pasta: The Spirit and Craft of Italy’s Greatest Food, with Recipes by Missy Robbins and Talia Baiocchi Pub date Oct 26, 2021
- A selection of pages and 2 recipes from Big Boards for Families: Healthy, Wholesome Charcuterie Boards and Food Spread Recipes that Bring Everyone Around the Table by Sandy Coughlin Pub date Nov 2, 2021
Click on the Blue Link Below to Enter
- Enter our US/UK/AU/NZ giveaway to win one of three copies of All Day Baking: Savoury, Not Sweet: Pies, Quiches, Galettes, Tarts, Preserves and More by Michael and Pippa James. Contest expires Oct 29th, 2021.
- Enter our worldwide giveaway to win a copy of My Korea: Traditional Flavors, Modern Recipes by Hooni Kim and a Neoflam – FIKA 15cm Induction Egg Pan from my friends at Harumio. EYB members can use EATYOURBOOKS at Harumio at checkout for 10 percent off. Contest expires Oct 30th, 2021.
The cookbook giveaway roundup shares all current giveaways.
- matag on This week: When good cookbooks do bad things; EYBD Previews of upcoming releases; recipes; and more
- greentoad on Atsuko Ikeda – Author Quick Bites & Cookbook Set Giveaway
- greentoad on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- hawaiieat on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- hawaiieat on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- hawaiieat on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- pfgarden on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- reader1trees on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- reader1trees on Cinnamon and Salt by Emiko Davies – Cookbook Giveaway