Guild of Food Writers announces 2020 finalistsMay 20, 2020 by Darcie
The Guild of Food Writers is the UK’s professional association of food writers and broadcasters, and is the longest-established and largest of its kind. Established in 1984, the Guild’s goals include bringing together professional food journalists, broadcasters and authors; arranging discussions, forums, and workshops; encouraging new writers; and contributing to the growth of public interest in, and knowledge of, the subject of food.
The Guild just announced the list of finalists for its 2020 awards. It include both emerging voices like Olivia Potts and Alissa Timoshkina, as well as established writers and EYB Member favorites Diana Henry, Felicity Cloake, Tim Hayward, and Thomasina Miers. Like many other organizations, the Guild cancelled its awards ceremonies, and instead will announce the winners via Instagram on Tuesday 16 June at 6 pm.
The finalist list showcases the best food writing in a dozen-plus categories ranging from best food podcast to an ‘Inspiration Award’. Highlights include the First Book Award, which features these great volumes:
- The Vinegar Cupboard by Angela Clutton
- A Cheesemonger’s History of The British Isles by Ned Palmer
- Dishoom: From Bombay with Love by Shamil Thakrar, Kavi Thakrar and Naved Nasir
- Salt & Time: Recipes from a Russian Kitchen by Alissa Timoshkina
- How We Fell in Love with Italian Food by Diego Zancani
Another noteworthy category is the General Cookbook Award, which includes:
- Bazaar: Vibrant Vegetarian Recipes by Sabrina Ghayour
- From the Oven to the Table: Simple Dishes that Look After Themselves by Diana Henry
- Midnight Chicken: & Other Recipes Worth Living For by Ella Risbridger
- Aran: Recipes and Stories from a Bakery in the Heart of Scotland by Flora Shedden
- The Little Library Year: Recipes and Reading to Suit each Season by Kate Young
I’m thankful I do not have to choose a winner and can have all of these outstanding books in my collection. Stay tuned to the EYB blog as we will provide an update when the winners are announced.
- krnries on Cinnamon and Salt by Emiko Davies – Cookbook Giveaway
- TeresaRenee on Lock your doors: it’s zucchini season
- leknit on Green Kitchen: Quick + Slow Cookbook Giveaway
- lils74 on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Lesevans6 on Cinnamon and Salt by Emiko Davies – Cookbook Giveaway
- kezbabybabe on What’s the best cookbook holder?
- PhillipJD on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Twiddle on Ayla – Cookbook Giveaway
- acecil on Lanka Food: Cookbook Giveaway
- Mignumi on Cinnamon and Salt by Emiko Davies – Cookbook Giveaway