Now is the time for complicated projectsMarch 20, 2020 by Darcie
A great number of people who normally work in an office are currently working from home. Others are staying home for less fortunate reasons, such as layoffs and store closures. In both scenarios, a lot of us have a little extra time on our hands, and also could use a little positive distraction. Perhaps now is the time to jump into a cooking or baking project that we never seem to find the time to do because it requires an investment of time or has many steps.
Saveur recently posted about tackling cooking and baking projects you wouldn’t normally try. The story linked in their IG post includes recipes that they say “you can really sink your hands—and your brain—into for a couple of hours.” Most of the recipes lean heavily on pantry items and are geared to help you make something from scratch that you would not ordinarily attempt.
Another project well suited to the current time is making couscous from scratch. The process is not complicated, but it is repetitive and lengthy, perfect for developing a rhythm and allowing yourself to relax. This task does require specialty ingredients (coarse semolina flour) and it’s easier if you use a specialty apparatus called a coucoussier, although the latter is not strictly required. You can make do with a universal steamer.
The recipe that I chose to escape into was red mole, using Rick Bayless’s Simple red mole enchiladas with shredded chicken (Enchiladas de mole rojo). While not difficult technique-wise, the recipe has many components and requires you to concentrate on the task at hand, especially when you are cooking the ancho chile puree to a thick, dark paste. I was rewarded with a complex and rich sauce, and the multi-step process provided the calming distraction that I needed.
- Jow on The Lodge at Black Pearl Cookbook – Worldwide Giveaway
- Jow on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- GrooveHeart on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- cassandralove on Another warning about self-cleaning ovens
- Starry_Joce on Cinnamon and Salt by Emiko Davies – Cookbook Giveaway
- Starry_Joce on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Starry_Joce on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- dafur on Michael Ruhlman mulls over whether food writing is important
- love2chow on Berber&Q: On Vegetables: Cookbook Giveaway
- love2chow on The Lodge at Black Pearl Cookbook – Worldwide Giveaway