This week at Eat Your Books: The best chocolate chip cookie recipe, EYBD previews, cookbook giveaways and more!January 18, 2020 by Jenny
The search for the best chocolate chip cookie recipe is a journey with no end. Even a mediocre homemade chocolate chip cookie is better than no cookie at all. So the less than perfect experiments in our quest will be met with anticipation (at least in my house). The best cookie recipe is subjective as some love thin and crispy attributes in our cookie while others prefer thick and chewy.
Ruth Wakefield deserves the thanks for creating the original chocolate chip cookie in the 1930’s even if she did so by accident. Since then there have been infinite variations of the humble cookie. There are fifteen cookbooks in our library that have the words chocolate chip cookie in the title, over 2,500 books with a chocolate chip cookie recipe in them, and 1,000 indexed chocolate chip cookies with an Online Recipe link! What do you look for in your chocolate chip cookie?
Darcie and I have written a few articles regarding this subject.
- Can there only be one best chocolate chip cookie recipe?
- My quest for the Levain chocolate chip cookie recipe
- The cookie that is taking over the world, Alison Roman’s chocolate chunk shortbread
Since our last roundup, Darcie has written articles that include a piece on the allure of celebrity mom cookbooks, divisive foods, the pursuit of food experiences and the love of lemons. Darcie’s weekly food news antipasto is shared every Sunday (#foodnews brings up these information-packed posts). This week in addition to giveaways I shared a piece on my baking intentions.
Our post on looking forward to 2020 cookbooks provides an outline of what the new year has in store for us cookbook lovers. Throughout the year, this post will be frequently updated with new additions, edits to titles and publication dates and more! This week our calendar has been updated with upcoming author events and classes. Our February through April options have been voted upon by our members for the Eat Your Books Cookbook Club. Be sure to check out what is in store.
Recently Indexed Books
- The Whole30 Fast & Easy: 150 Delicious Recipes to Help You Succeed with the Whole30 by Melissa Hartwig
- Gyoza: The Ultimate Dumpling Cookbook: 50 Recipes from Tokyo’s Gyoza King–Pot Stickers, Dumplings, Spring Rolls and More! by Paradise Yamamoto
- No Crumbs Left (Whole30 Endorsed Series): Recipes for Everyday Food Made Marvelous by Teri Turner
- The Art of Escapism Cooking: A Survival Story, with Intensely Good Flavors by Mandy Lee
- In the Mix 2: More Great Thermomix Recipes by Dani Valent
- Black Axe Mangal by Lee Tiernan
- Tiffin: 500 Authentic Recipes Celebrating India’s Regional Cuisine by Sonal Vad
- Power Spicing: 80 Simple Recipes for Well-Seasoned Meals and a Healthy Body by Rachel Beller
- Big Mamma’s Cucina Popolare: Contemporary Italian Recipes by Big Mamma
Member Photo of the Week
Thai stir-fried glass noodles with carrots and roasted peanuts (Pad woon sen) from Milk Street: The New Rules: Recipes That Will Change the Way, You Cook, by Christopher Kimball submitted by member raybun
Have you uploaded any of your own photos yet? Learn more!
Featured Online Recipe
Recently we uploaded our 593rd EYBDigital Preview and shared some insight into members’ questions regarding same. A selection of full sample pages is available for the following cookbooks. Learn more about EYBDigital Previews.
(Note: Some members have been asking why they cannot add all EYBDigital Preview recipes to their Bookshelf. Please read this Help page for an explanation.)
- 3 recipes from Keeping It Simple: Easy Weeknight One-Pot Recipes by Yasmin Fahr (promotion coming soon!)
- 3 recipes from China: A Cookbook: 300 Classic Recipes From Beijing And Canton, To Shanghai And Sichuan by Terry Tan
- 3 recipes from Pastry for Beginners Cookbook: Step-by-Step Recipes for Sweet and Savory Treats by Sharon Glascoe
- 3 recipes from The Super Easy Vegetarian Slow Cooker Cookbook: 115 Easy, Healthy Recipes That Are Ready When You Are by Kristi Arnold
Click on the Blue Link Below to Enter
- Enter to win a copy of Wok On in our giveaway US (2 copies) and worldwide one copy provided by EYB Expires January 25th, 2020.
- Enter to win a copy of Fire Islands in our US/CA/UK/AU/NZ giveaway. Expires January 27th, 2020.
- Enter to win a copy of Food Artisans of Japan in our US/UK/AU/NZ giveaway Expires January 31st, 2020.
- foodie16 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- LUmbro on Fine Cooking’s last issue
- Shelmar on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- janv on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- janv on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- FattyNaddy on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- dhiza on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- zeahund on The Wok by J. Kenji López-Alt Worldwide Cookbook Giveaway
- lauren424 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- JEWGAL777 on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway