The latest garlic peeling hack makes the roundsJune 18, 2019 by Darcie
Perhaps you have already seen the mesmerizing video – a pair of hands, a sharp knife, a few twists, and an entire head of garlic peeled as easy as 1-2-3. This is the latest garlic peeling trick circulating on social media, following other hacks such as the two metal bowls method, the microwave method, and the high pressure air hose method (how many people have one of those handy near the kitchen?). So how well does this latest method work? It depends on who you ask.
Many people who have tried the hack posted pictures of mangled cloves, but some (like my friend and EYB Member Jean, whose photo is posted above), have been successful. Those who did not achieve the same result gave different opinions on the factors that influenced the outcome, including the type of garlic (softneck vs. hardneck) or the age of the garlic. Others think it is more a matter of technique. Helen Rosner, food writer for The New Yorker, tried the method and after a little practice had the cloves “popping out like champagne corks.”
Regardless of the ultimate success of the method, these hacks will always be widely shared because of our desire to find easier ways of doing mundane tasks, says Eater’s Jaya Saxena. We get frustrated when the hack does not work as advertised, but we shouldn’t, says Saxena, because what the these videos “sell is the idea that anyone can be an expert immediately.” We want the solution to be effortless, disregarding the amount of practice it might take to make it appear that way.
I tried the hack myself and if I had posted a photo, you would have only seen mangled garlic pieces. My garlic was a bit long in the teeth, so that may have been part of the problem. (Yeah, that’s the reason, my clumsy knife handling had nothing at all to do with it.) I do not need to peel that much garlic very often, so I will not invest a lot of effort into learning this skill. Plus it does nothing for the part of garlic handling that I find most tedious, which is finely chopping the cloves.
Have you tried this hack? If so, how did it work for you?
- paulo_b on New European Baking – Cookbook & Emile Henry Bread Cloche Giveaway and Quick Bites
- paulo_b on Pierogi by Zuza Zak – Cookbook Giveaway
- zeeenie on Pierogi by Zuza Zak – Cookbook Giveaway
- zeeenie on New European Baking – Cookbook & Emile Henry Bread Cloche Giveaway and Quick Bites
- ebs on Jenny’s Best Books of 2022 and Cookbook Gift Guide with Giveaway
- Maryd8822 on Holiday Cookies & Cocktails Giveaway
- Maryd8822 on Cassoulet Confessions Book Giveaway
- Maryd8822 on Pasta Grannies Comfort Cooking – Cookbook Giveaway
- Maryd8822 on Pierogi by Zuza Zak – Cookbook Giveaway
- Maryd8822 on The Cocktail Cabinet Cookbook Giveaway & Quick Bites