24 kitchen tips that are really worth knowingAugust 30, 2013 by Lindsay
Over at Serious Eats, Kenji Alt – their Chief Creative Officer who writes The Food Lab column – has posted 24 Essential Kitchen Tricks and Tips. We were once colleagues at Cook’s Illustrated, and, having watched Kenji in action, it’s not surprising that all of these are well-worth knowing and merit a look. Here are two that were new to us to get you started:
“11. Buy Pre-Peeled Garlic
I might get a lot of hate for this one, but truth be told, I use pre-peeled garlic almost exclusively. I find peeling garlic form a whole head to be a bit of a pain in the butt and usually can’t be bothered. The pre-peeled stuff, so long as you buy it fresh, will last for weeks in the refrigerator and despite what some snooty chefs may tell you, it tastes just fine. In fact, I challenge anyone to taste identical dishes made in a triangle test with pre-peeled and whole head garlic and identify the odd one out. Seriously.
21. Use Mozzarella or Feta Liquid as the Base for Pasta Sauce
Here’s one from Serious Eats Overlord Ed:
‘I discovered a great kitchen shortcut the other night on the Vineyard: using the water some feta cheese comes in as the base of a cheesy sauce for pasta. You pour the water in from the container into the same pot you used to make the pasta while it’s still hot, put in little pieces of cheese (I used feta and goat), and presto, you’ve got a winner of a pasta sauce. Adding a few raw in-season cherry tomato halves and/or some fresh corn kernels shaved off the cob to the cheese sauce and you’ve got something seriously delicious.”‘
And to use this latter tip to not throw away the cheese liquid – and show off our new video filter feature – here’s a recipe for Mediteranean pasta, chickpea, and fennel salad with creamy feta-dill dressing from the blog Three Many Cooks by Pam Anderson. And enjoy the last weekend before the season changes!
- krnries on Cinnamon and Salt by Emiko Davies – Cookbook Giveaway
- TeresaRenee on Lock your doors: it’s zucchini season
- leknit on Green Kitchen: Quick + Slow Cookbook Giveaway
- lils74 on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Lesevans6 on Cinnamon and Salt by Emiko Davies – Cookbook Giveaway
- kezbabybabe on What’s the best cookbook holder?
- PhillipJD on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Twiddle on Ayla – Cookbook Giveaway
- acecil on Lanka Food: Cookbook Giveaway
- Mignumi on Cinnamon and Salt by Emiko Davies – Cookbook Giveaway