What’s hot in ManhattanAugust 20, 2013 by Susie
Actually, everything’s hot in New York this week. It’s in the
upper 80’s, and as usual the steaming sidewalks, midtown traffic,
and ever-present faint smell of garbage makes it feel even
Nevertheless, business is hopping at the Union Square Barnes & Noble, helped along by the farmer’s market. I stop by the Cookbooks section to find out what’s selling well. It’s a mix of the expected and the less so.
Jerusalem, for example, seems to have entered a whole other dimension of popularity since its brisk debut last year. I don’t know if it’s the bright flavors, the eye-catching design, the vegetarian-friendliness (especially in summer), or whether it’s just an ongoing matter of buzz. (Who knows, maybe my own positive reviews on NPR and the Globe also contributed a little.) Whatever the case, the book just keeps on selling.
Also selling, the salesperson tells me with a little sigh, is Gwyneth Paltrow’s book. Even if it’s been wittily panned, sent up, and satirized, It’s All Good continues to have legs. At least in this aspirational city, where no lifestyle is left unimproved for long.
And then there’s Hisako Ogita’s I Love Macarons. The fussy little confections have been going strong for almost 4 years now. Who would have guessed?
So there you have it: veg-centric food, celebrity food, and fiddly sweets. I don’t know what it says about Manhattanites. But it probably says something about the people they – and millions more of us – buy cookbooks for.
- All Posts (6269)
- Antipasto (1828)
- Author Articles (238)
- Book News (897)
- Cookbook Giveaways (891)
- Cookbook Lovers (246)
- Cooking Tips (90)
- Culinary News (289)
- Food Biz People (523)
- Food Online (725)
- Holidays & Celebrations (239)
- New Cookbooks (129)
- Recipes (1374)
- Shelf Life With Susie (231)
- What's New on EYB (122)
- aperault on Cookbook Giveaway: Salt of the Earth: Secrets of a Greek Kitchen
- CCF4 on Pasta Masterclass Cookbook Giveaway
- aperault on Cookbook & Prize Package Giveaway: Italy on a Plate
- Spud13 on Pasta Masterclass Cookbook Giveaway
- yvettelee on Finally some good news about food prices
- JEWGAL777 on Cookbook Giveaway: Cake & Loaf Gatherings
- Peter on Pasta Masterclass Cookbook Giveaway
- JEWGAL777 on Cookbook Giveaway: Pieminister Live & Eat Pie!
- Rella on All things cookbook care, management and organizational roundup
- rstuart on Cookbook Giveaway: Dark Rye & Honey Cake