Thanksgiving sides–some better ones.November 22, 2011 by Susie
If you haven’t yet drawn up your menu for Thursday, you’ve still probably made it as far as pinning down which turkey recipe you’re going to use. A lot of us, though, don’t bother worrying about the vegetables because…they’re vegetables! It’s enough work dealing with the bird, the stuffing, the pies. The same goes for starchy sides.
But with so many wonderful books focused on vegetables and grains these last few years, you might as well stop a moment before hauling out the candied yams again. I’ve collected some really great side dishes this year and I thought I’d share them. None of them are difficult, even at the last moment. And many can go in the same oven as the turkey, if you’ve got room.
- Roasted Brussels sprouts with capers and lemony browned butter, from All About Roasting
- Absurdly addictive asparagus, from The Food52 Cookbook
- Roasted cauliflower with pomegranate seeds, mint and salted yogurt from Cook This Now
- Slightly honeyed couscous, from The Bonne Femme Cookbook
- Broccoli with red onions and tamari walnuts, from Fresh and Fast Vegetarian
- Cabbage salad with peanuts, mint, and chile, from Cook This Now
- Mustard crusted roast potatoes, from All About Roasting
- Raw zucchini salad, from Ruhlman’s Twenty
- Zucchini with onions and oregano, from The Food of Spain
- Wild rice casserole fromSuper Natural Every Day
- Millet with cranberries and pistachios from Clean Food
I’m sure there’s still more, too.
When you’re finally done washing up, it’ll be time to put away the cookbooks, flop in a chair–and then order some more cookbooks! this time as gifts, for your friends and family. You can find many, many recommendations from my NPR list and the excellent list of alternates. (And, if I may, don’t forget A Spoonful of Promises: Recipes & Stories from a Well-Tempered Table–the perfect holiday gift for food lovers who like to read!)
Stay warm, eat well, and come back next week with your kitchen battle stories and feastly memories.
- emi10383 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- Dendav on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- Nanaree04 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- Spud13 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- Sand9 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- jenlhawes on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- LoBlom on Food news antipasto
- PhillipJD on The Cake Book – Cookbook Giveaway
- bookmark58 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- SheenaBatey on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway