How to eat like a kingSeptember 27, 2022 by Darcie
As we were sitting around the table following an exceptionally fine meal a few weeks ago, my husband remarked that “we eat like kings” in our house. Judging by my waistline, this rings true: the breadth and quality of foods that lands on our dinner plates would probably impress the royals of ancient times. But this is 2022, and England has a new king who can eat basically anything his heart desires. Apparently King Charles (not sure I am ever going to get used to that) has some interesting food quirks.
According to a Welsh chef who has cooked at royal banquets, Charles has a set of requests for what is served and what is placed on or near his plate. “[King] Charles doesn’t like chocolate, he doesn’t like coffee, nor does he like garlic. So we do have to consider these things when we’re creating a menu for him,” explained chef Graham Tinsley MBE. Charles also has exacting requirements for how his tea is prepared, depending on whether it is green tea or Earl Grey.
Although the King’s tastes are said to be broader than Queen Elizabeth’s, there is one food item that Charles has banned from state events: foie gras. He is against the food for reasons to do with the treatment of the geese that are subjected to lavage in order to get their livers to swell to many times their normal size. Some people disagree that geese have to be harmed to make foie gras, but Charles has decided this is one food that will never be on a royal menu.
- Plutarch on Matt Lucas is leaving the GBBO
- gamulholland on Matt Lucas is leaving the GBBO
- cindyr on Jenny’s Best Books of 2022 and Cookbook Gift Guide with Giveaway
- KarinaFrancis on Matt Lucas is leaving the GBBO
- hillsboroks on Food news antipasto
- katylynnf on Matt Lucas is leaving the GBBO
- dlduncan11 on Jenny’s Best Books of 2022 and Cookbook Gift Guide with Giveaway
- dataentrytard on The Tomte Cake and Giveaway
- jezpurr on Trap Kitchen Mac N All Over the World: Quick Bites – Cookbook Giveaway
- BrandiRae on Jenny’s Best Books of 2022 and Cookbook Gift Guide with Giveaway