EatingWell Magazine to end print publicationFebruary 23, 2022 by Darcie
Another longstanding culinary magazine is moving to digital-only. Dotdash Meredith, which publishes EatingWell, announced that effective immediately, that magazine along with Entertainment Weekly, InStyle, Health, Parents and People en Español, would cease print publications. The April issues will be the last print magazines to hit newsstands.
According to Dotdash Meredith CEO Neil Vogel, this announcement should not come as a shock. “We have said from the beginning, buying Meredith was about buying brands, not magazines or websites,” he said in a memo to staff. “It is not news to anyone that there has been a pronounced shift in readership and advertising from print to digital, and as a result, for a few important brands, print is no longer serving the brand’s core purpose. As such, we are going to move to a digital-only future for these brands, which will help us to unlock their full potential.”
As the majority of consumers now get their news and other information via electronic means, whether on a phone, tablet, or computer, we can probably expect more magazines to follow suit. While cookbook sales still seem to be going strong, magazine sales are not as robust. A few publications appear to be bucking the trend such as Bake From Scratch, but I expect the trend of a digital-only model to expand to more magazines. I find that while I dig into my cookbooks on a daily basis, I tend to use the online editions of magazines much more than their physical counterparts.
- angiejackson on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- MarciK on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- MarciK on The Lodge at Black Pearl Cookbook – Worldwide Giveaway
- kennethjohngilmour on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- CatsintheKitchen on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- CatsintheKitchen on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Pamyoungvb on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Radu321 on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- virjeania on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Skamper on Sometimes the best things come in small packages