Best cooking hacks of 2021December 22, 2021 by Darcie
I must admit that I’m a sucker for cooking hacks, and if they seem remotely plausible I am game to give them a whirl. They do not always live up to their hype, but I find enough new shortcuts and improved methods to keep me willing to try more. BuzzFeed’s Hannah Loewentheil also enjoys experimenting with kitchen hacks, and she shares with us the top 36 tricks she learned this year.
Some of these hacks were ones I had seen before, such as how to refresh a stale loaf of bread using water and a brief rest in the oven. Others were new to me, like sautéing mushrooms in a dry pan before adding any fat to allow the excess moisture to escape more rapidly. I have long used trick #17 and I am intrigued by tip #21. (If anyone has tried it, please let me know in the comments!)
I found it interesting that four of the 36 tricks involved using mayonnaise in unexpected ways. When I was growing up, we never used mayonnaise, and I did not discover what a delicious and versatile ingredient it was until I moved away from from home. Even though I love making it from scratch, I always keep a jar of Hellman’s on hand for emergency mayo situations. Which of these hacks are you most interested in trying?
Addendum: Just in case you are looking for more tricks, Greatist provides a list of the top 51 food hacks of 2021. I am sad to say that none involve mayo.
- agreaves19 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- emi10383 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- Dendav on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- Nanaree04 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- Spud13 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- Sand9 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- jenlhawes on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- LoBlom on Food news antipasto
- PhillipJD on The Cake Book – Cookbook Giveaway
- bookmark58 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway