September 2021 Great Big Cookbook Club SummaryAugust 15, 2021 by Jenny
As our members know, each month we offer at least four cooking options in our Eat Your Books Cookbook Club. There are other fun cookbook clubs around the interwebs and we’d like to highlight those for those members who might want to cook or bake something other than our choices.
We want to get this information out to you so you can prepare and will update when we have any further details. Please note the addition of Jamie Oliver’s Cookbook Club toward the bottom of this post.
- Main option: Cook This Book: Techniques That Teach and Recipes to Repeat by Molly Baz or Jew-ish: A Cookbook: Reinvented Recipes from a Modern Mensch by Jake Cohen
- Baking option: Modern Baking: Cakes, Cookies and Everything in Between by Donna Hay or A Good Bake: The Art and Science of Making Perfect Pastries, Cakes, Cookies, Pies, and Breads at Home by Melissa Weller
- Online option: Donna Hay Online Recipes
- Veg option: Chez Panisse Vegetables by Alice Waters or In Praise of Veg: A Modern Kitchen Companion by Alice Zaslavsky – online recipes for Alice
See this post for our 2021 year-long options choices.
- September – Sicilia: A Love Letter to the Food of Sicily by Ben Tish
- October – Great British Chefs: Around the Table by Great British Chefs
- November – Your Home Izakaya by Tim Anderson
- Sep 25 – 10.30am – noon: Delia Smith at 80: A celebration of her books and recipes – register here
- Oct 14 – 6.30 – 8pm: Salt & Time: Recipes from a Russian Kitchen by Alissa Timoshkina – register here
- Find out more about this digital cookbook club here.
Sur la table features a different cookbook and author each month in their online cookbook club. Click on the date below to register. Each Zoom class comes with a downloadable prep packet and recipes as well as a cookbook – shipped to you – while supplies last. You will be sent a link to join the class and the following day will also be sent a recording of the class.
- September 23rd – Dada Eats: Love to Cook It: 100 Plant-Based Recipes for Everyone at Your Table by Samah Dada
- Omnivore Box: Flavors of the Sun: The Sahadi’s Guide to Understanding, Buying, and Using Middle Eastern Ingredients by Christine Sahadi Whelan
- Essentials Box: Southern Grit: 100+ Down-Home Recipes for the Modern Cook by Kelsey Barnard Clark
- Vegetarian: The Weekday Vegetarians: 100 Recipes and a Real-Life Plan for Eating Less Meat by Jenny Rosenstrach
- Baking: Nadiya Bakes: Over 100 Must Try Recipes for Breads, Cakes, Biscuits, Pies and More by Nadiya Hussain
- Omnivore Box: Grist: A Practical Guide to Cooking Grains, Beans, Seeds, and Legumes by Abra Berens
- Essentials Box: Ottolenghi Test Kitchen: Shelf Love by Yotam Ottolenghi
- Vegetarian: Mumbai Modern: Vegetarian Recipes Inspired by Indian Roots and California Cuisine by Amisha Gurbani
- Baking: Baking with Dorie: Sweet, Salty & Simple by Dorie Greenspan
Be sure to check out the site for all the great ingredients each of these boxes will share will be available soon. See Hardcover Cook’s other cookbook and ingredient bundles and see this page for more information on the subscription service.
Rainyday Bites – Deborah Balint – Instagram’s first cookbook club
- September: My Shanghai: Recipes and Stories from a City on the Water by Betty Liu
- October: Amber & Rye: A Baltic Food Journey: Estonia • Latvia • Lithuania by Zuza Zak
- September & October Baking Book: A Good Bake by Melissa Weller
- Member pick – Tangy, Tart, Hot and Sweet: A World of Recipes for Every Day by Padma Lakshmi
- Admin pick – The Food of Oaxaca by Alejandro Ruiz
- Member Pick – Heirloom Kitchen by Anna Gass
- Admin pick – Baking at the 20th Century Cafe by Michelle Polzine
- Member pick – Cook This Book by Molly Baz
- Admin pick – At Home in the Kitchen by David Kinch
- Member pick – Baking with Dorie: Sweet, Salty & Simple by Dorie Greenspan
- Admin pick – Any previous titles covered
- August/September 2021: My Shanghai: Recipes and Stories from a City on the Water by Betty Liu
- September: Pure Vanilla: Irresistible Recipes and Essential Techniques by Shauna Sever
- October: The New Way to Cake: Simple Recipes with Exceptional Flavor by Benjamina Ebuehi
- November: The Vanilla Bean Baking Book: Recipes for Irresistible Everyday Favorites and Reinvented Classics by Sarah Kieffer
- Bonus Book 2021 – all year: Patisserie at Home by Melanie Dupuis and Anne Cazor
- September: Cook with Me: More Than 150 Recipes for the Home Cook by Alex Guarnaschelli
- October: Dishoom: From Bombay with Love: Cookery Book and Highly Subjective Guide to Bombay with Map by Shamil & Kavi Thakrar
- November: At Home in the Kitchen: Simple Recipes from a Chef’s Night Off by David Kinch
- Bonus Book – 2021: The Flavor Equation: The Science of Great Cooking Explained: More Than 100 Essential Recipes by Nik Sharma
- September 2021: To Asia, With Love: Everyday Asian Recipes and Stories from the Heart by Hetty McKinnon
- October 2021: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan
- November 2021: BraveTart: Iconic American Desserts by Stella Parks
- December 2021: Kachka: A Return to Russian Cooking by Bonnie Frumkin Morales and Deena Prichep
- September 2021 – My Greek Table: Authentic Flavors and Modern Home Cooking from My Kitchen to Yours by Diane Kochilas
- October 2021 – My Mexico City Kitchen: Recipes and Convictions by Gabriela Camara
- November 2021 – Ripe Figs: Recipes and Stories from Turkey, Greece, and Cyprus by Yasmin Khan
- December 2021 – My Shanghai: Recipes and Stories from a City on the Water by Betty Liu
- July – September Baking – Black Girl Baking: Wholesome Recipes Inspired by a Soulful Upbringing by Jerrelle Guy
- October – December Baking – Baking with Dorie: Sweet, Salty & Simple by Dorie Greenspan
Club de cuisine Française
- #clubdecuisinefrançaise cookbook – Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child
- #aperitifbookclub cookbook- Apéritif by Rebekah Peppler
- Get Cooking Cookbook Club – an Instagram cookbook club. To participate tag your photos with #getcookingcookbookclub and follow the co-hosts Bebe and Steph at Champagne & Cookies and A Whisk and a Spoon respectively on Instagram.
Salt & Spine is the leading podcast focused on telling the stories behind cookbooks through in-depth, in-person interviews with compelling authors.
October – November 2021 – Flavors of New York
- Buvette: The Pleasure of Good Food by Jody Williams
- Flavors of the Sun: The Sahadi’s Guide to Understanding, Buying, and Using Middle Eastern Ingredients by Christine Sahadi Whelan
- Between Harlem and Heaven: Afro-Asian-American Cooking for Big Nights, Weeknights, and Every Day by Alexander Smalls and JJ Johnson
- Italian American: Red Sauce Classics and New Essentials by Angie Rito, Scott Tacinelli and Jamie Feldmar
- September 2021: How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food by Nigella Lawson
- October 2021: Every Night of the Week: Sanity Solutions for the Daily Dinner Grind by Lucy Tweed
August 2021: Zoe’s Ghana Kitchen by Zoe Adjonyoh
Every Tuesday, EYB Member, Lisa has a Milk Street Kitchen cookalong on her Cook Like I Mean It Instagram. Any MSK recipe is fair game just tag your posts #milkstreetcookalong. For more information see this reel.
From Hardcover Cook: “Claudia Prieto-Piastro is a Mexican food anthropologist living in London. Her cookbook club focuses on recovering recipes, books, authors and cuisines that have been forgotten by social media because they do not have pictures or enough marketing. Every month there is a “theme” rather than one book.”
Post to Instagram using hashtag #forgottenrecipescookbookclub and also tag moderator, @piastromexicankitchen.
Skordo (Greek for garlic) is a family owned business with two shops, one in Portland and another in Freeport, Maine. I am a frequent buyer of their spices and products. Their items are packed with care and once you tear into a box you are enveloped by a world of aromas and culinary possibilities.
Each month this group will feature a cookbook and invite members to cook along with readers and members of The Dish team to try new recipes, learn new skills and be in with a chance of winning some great prizes along the way. In this group, you’re encouraged to share your photos, tips and recipe tweaks. Journalists from The Sunday Times, authors and experts will be taking part from time to time, and your comments and photos could be featured in our publications.
No announcement made for several months will continue to check.
Updated: other clubs I’ve located:
- Adelaide Cookbook Club (local club that meets)
- Berlin Cookbook Club (meet up)
- Magnolia Table Cookbook Club
- Wit and Delight (to learn more about this club you need to sign up here)
- Virtual Cooking Club (to learn more about this club you need to sign up here)
- The Mary Berry Cookbook Club – this is a cookbook club on Facebook run by Mary Berry’s team which focuses on the author’s recipes.
- greentoad on Atsuko Ikeda – Author Quick Bites & Cookbook Set Giveaway
- greentoad on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- hawaiieat on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- hawaiieat on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- hawaiieat on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- pfgarden on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- reader1trees on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- reader1trees on Cinnamon and Salt by Emiko Davies – Cookbook Giveaway
- Su2cool on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Ren23 on This week: When good cookbooks do bad things; EYBD Previews of upcoming releases; recipes; and more