It’s the most wonderful time of the year – cookie time!October 24, 2020 by Jenny
‘Tis a bit early to start the holiday baking posts but I needed a wee break from the October new cookbook review. (I have no idea where the ’tis and wee came from, I blame it on Cookbooktober). As I was clearing my head in preparation for returning tonight to finish the epically long review, I glanced at the small stack of holiday magazines – photo below – that I have already accumulated.
The word love isn’t quite strong enough to describe how I feel about the holidays and baking. The first glimpse of a holiday baking magazine can make even the worst days seem brighter. Those magazines and baking displays fill me with the same excitement as witnessing the first snowflake of the season. In early September here in Colorado, we had our first snowfall so for me, there is no time like the present to start planning baking!
I am sharing a roundup of our cookie and baking posts that might inspire you. Some of you may be familiar with a few of these posts, but for new members, this compilation of articles may be helpful. I also follow the hashtags #holidaycookies and #Christmascookies for cookie porn.
A few of my and members’ favorite cookie books include:
- Creative Cookie Decorating: Buttercream Frosting Designs and Tips for Every Occasion by Emily Hutchinson * Follow The Hutch Oven on Instagram for more of her great decorating ideas.
- The Cookie Collection: Artisan Baking for the Cookie Enthusiast by Brian Hart Hoffman
- The Cookie Book: Decadent Bites for Every Occasion by Rebecca Firth * Follow Displaced Housewife on Instagram for great baking recipes.
- 100 Cookies: The Baking Book for Every Kitchen, with Classic Cookies, Novel Treats, Brownies, Bars, and More by Sarah Kieffer
- The Great Minnesota Cookie Book: Award-Winning Recipes from the Star Tribune’s Holiday Cookie Contest by Lee Svitak Dean and Rick Nelson
- Holiday Cookies: Prize-Winning Family Recipes from the Chicago Tribune for Cookies, Bars, Brownies and More by Chicago Tribune Staff
- Dorie’s Cookies by Dorie Greenspan
- Rose’s Christmas Cookies by Rose Levy Beranbaum
- The Perfect Cookie: Your Ultimate Guide to Foolproof Cookies, Brownies, and Bars by ATK
- Cookie Love by Mindy Segal and Kate Leahy
Below are articles and posts that offer baking tips, links to massive cookie recipes, and more:
- Holiday Cookies – recipes from members
- ‘Tis the Season to be Baking … Flour Everywhere La la la la – loads of links to holiday cookie contest recipes
- Cookie Time – recipes and holiday baking tips – tips, links and more
- Spice support: holiday baking spices
- Cookbooks for Holiday Cooking & Baking
- Fear of an empty pantry, part two – the baking edition
- The best of (baking) intentions
- Tips for your improving your holiday cookie tray
- Vintage Imperial Sugar – Downloadable Cookbooks – near the bottom of this post is a link to download holiday cookie cookbooks from We Energies.
- How to convert pan sizes in baking
- Converting cake recipes for a Bundt® pan
- This week: British biscuit/cookie recipes, cookbook previews and giveaways
- How to outfit your pantry like a GBBO baker
- Jenny’s Best Books of Fall/Autumn 2020 (the bottom of this post shares blurbs on new baking titles that I am in love with).
When do you start your cookie planning? When do you begin baking for the holidays? Are you a freezer or a fly by the seat of your pants baker?
- angiejackson on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- MarciK on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- MarciK on The Lodge at Black Pearl Cookbook – Worldwide Giveaway
- kennethjohngilmour on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- CatsintheKitchen on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- CatsintheKitchen on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Pamyoungvb on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Radu321 on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- virjeania on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Skamper on Sometimes the best things come in small packages