Can’t find it? DIY itApril 21, 2020 by Darcie
While store shelves are slowly getting back to normal, there are still issues with supply lines, meaning empty spaces for many products. Stay at home orders as well as voluntary social distancing also means you can’t pop out for that missing ingredient for a recipe. If you are passing over recipes because you can’t find an ingredient, there is a solution: make it yourself. Food & Wine just published a collection of pantry staples that you can DIY at home.
Most of us know how to whip up a batch of mayonnaise, but there are plenty of other items that are simple to make at home, and often the homemade version is even better than store bought. The article provides recipes for flour tortillas, graham crackers, sweetened condensed milk, ricotta cheese, nut butters, fresh pasta, and rough puff pastry among other items. Most of these recipes use things you might already have in your pantry or larder.
You can also make many condiments like harissa or ketchup, and it only takes two ingredients – heavy cream and buttermilk – to make your own crème fraîche. One of the best ways to find a recipe for a pantry staple or condiment is by using the filters in the EYB Library. For the three examples above, I searched for the key word and filtered to “How to” under recipe types, then applied the “sauces, general” filter. Using a combination of filters makes it easier to find a recipe for the item in question rather than just recipes that use the ingredient.
Photo of How to make ketchup in the slow cooker from The Kitchn
- paulo_b on New European Baking – Cookbook & Emile Henry Bread Cloche Giveaway and Quick Bites
- paulo_b on Pierogi by Zuza Zak – Cookbook Giveaway
- zeeenie on Pierogi by Zuza Zak – Cookbook Giveaway
- zeeenie on New European Baking – Cookbook & Emile Henry Bread Cloche Giveaway and Quick Bites
- ebs on Jenny’s Best Books of 2022 and Cookbook Gift Guide with Giveaway
- Maryd8822 on Holiday Cookies & Cocktails Giveaway
- Maryd8822 on Cassoulet Confessions Book Giveaway
- Maryd8822 on Pasta Grannies Comfort Cooking – Cookbook Giveaway
- Maryd8822 on Pierogi by Zuza Zak – Cookbook Giveaway
- Maryd8822 on The Cocktail Cabinet Cookbook Giveaway & Quick Bites