The German CookbookJanuary 30, 2019 by Jenny
Germany is made up of a series of distinct regional culinary cultures which varies according to the geography (mountains, farmland and waterways). From Hamburg on the north coast to Munich in the Alpine south, and from Frankfurt in the west to Berlin in the east, Germany’s cities and farmland yield a remarkable variety of ingredients and influences.
The German Cookbook by Alfons Schuhbeck showcases this vast diversity with 500 recipes including both traditional and contemporary dishes representing the new direction of German cooking – from snacks to desserts, meat, poultry, and fish, to potatoes, dumplings, and noodles. An introduction showcasing the culinary cultural history of the country introduces the origins of the classic recipes. German cuisine has a reputation as fatty or plain but with influences from Italy and France both in spice and techniques, the culinary scene is expanding.
- Bratwurst cooked in vinegar (Saure Zipfel)
- Bavarian breakfast sausages (Weißwürste)
- Roast young turkey with stuffing
- Turkey rolls with herb sauce
- Deep-fried almond pastries (Mutzenmandeln)
- Frankfurt-style pastries (Frankfurter Bethmännchen)
What I appreciate most about The German Cookbook is the aforementioned range of recipes from very approachable to more elaborate dishes. I love learning about international cuisines and especially with regard to their baking and dessert offerings which are brilliantly covered here.
Our thanks to Phaidon for providing us with the materials for the EYBD Preview above as well as offering two copies of this tome in our giveaway below. Please remember Eat Your Book members receive 30% off Phaidon titles when using the link provided.
The publisher is offering two copies of this book to EYB Members in the US, CA, UK and AU. One of the entry options is to answer the following question in the comments section of this blog post.
Which recipe in the index would you try first?
Please note that you must be logged
into the Rafflecopter contest before posting or your entry won’t be
counted. For more information on this process, please see our step-by-step help post and this forum post.
Once you log in and enter your member name you will be directed to
the next entry option – the blog comment. After that, there are
additional options that you can complete for more entries.
Be sure to check your spam filters to receive our email notifications. Prizes can take up to 6 weeks to arrive from the publishers. If you are not already a Member, you can join at no cost. The contest ends at midnight on March 27th, 2019.
- mumliz on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- Yatota74 on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- zeeenie on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- Lesevans6 on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- angiejackson on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- DimensionAEB on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- hillsboroks on Panna cotta is having a moment
- sheridarby on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- Isis1981uk on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- paulbing on Atsuko Ikeda – Author Quick Bites & Cookbook Set Giveaway