Do you wear an apron in the kitchen?September 27, 2018 by Darcie
In addition to cookbooks, I have other kitchen obsessions: Bundt pans, ramekins, vintage food tins – and aprons. Ever since I was given an apron for my college graduation (along with a copy of Joy of Cooking), I’ve been hooked on having aprons on hand to keep my clothes from being splattered.
As much as I adore my beautiful and functional aprons, I have a confession to make: I hardly ever remember to wear one. One reason is that in my tiny kitchen, I have nowhere to store them. They hang in a closet in another room, one that also serves as a makeshift pantry. This arrangement doesn’t lend itself to consistent application of what should be an everyday habit.
If I am ever able to remodel my kitchen, having a convenient place to hang an apron or two is high on my list of desires. It only makes sense to wear an apron – I can’t tell you how many shirts I have ruined with grease splatters. Of course, I never see the stain until after I have washed the garment, killing any chance that the stain could be removed.
There is a wide variety of aprons available – and many easy patterns if you want to make your own – that having one seems to be a no-brainer. If you are feeling flush, you can take a gander at some lovely but pricey aprons that are recommended by professionals, but there is really no need to spend a lot of money.
So, a show of hands: who here has an apron collection? And which of you actually make use of your aprons? Any tips for me for remembering to go to the closet and pulling out an apron before I start cooking?
- aesop57 on Atsuko Ikeda – Author Quick Bites & Cookbook Set Giveaway
- kmwyman on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- dbielick on Atsuko Ikeda – Author Quick Bites & Cookbook Set Giveaway
- jd5761 on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- Twiddle on The Cake Book – Cookbook Giveaway
- jd5761 on Sweet Paris, Cake Server and Parisian Tea Towel Giveaway – Quick Bites
- Tattybatts on Atsuko Ikeda – Author Quick Bites & Cookbook Set Giveaway
- SheenaBatey on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- ickle0ne on The Cake Book – Cookbook Giveaway
- bopper on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway