Indie magazines gain a foothold in the publishing industryMarch 30, 2018 by Darcie
Food magazines have been falling like dominoes – Gourmet, Food Arts, Lucky Peach – these and many others have succumbed to the pressures of digital publications and sagging subscriptions. Just when it seemed like the industry was doomed, a handful of independent magazines show that the demise of food publications is not a certainty.
These new magazines are succeeding by following a different path than the old publications which are experiencing difficulties remaining afloat. Rather than employing large staffs, these magazines are tiny, with as few as one or two people manning the entire affair. Likewise, the circulations are small as well, ranging from a few hundred to several thousand subscribers. Many have just a few issues per year, and high pricetags: upwards of $20 USD per magazine.
What these publications have in spades is passion and commitment to telling a store. The pages of magazines like Ambrosia, Dill, Compound Butter, Kitchen Toke, and Peddler are saturated with high-quality images and intriguing, complex stories. They aren’t trying to be the new Gourmet or Saveur, but instead focus on narrower subjects or a specific audience.
While the number of new magazines is increasing, success doesn’t come easy. Many of these smaller publications don’t last beyond the first few crowd-sourced issues. Most struggle to make money and their creators often work at other jobs to pay the bills. Despite these obstacles, it can be a rewarding and fulfilling venture.
- paulo_b on New European Baking – Cookbook & Emile Henry Bread Cloche Giveaway and Quick Bites
- paulo_b on Pierogi by Zuza Zak – Cookbook Giveaway
- zeeenie on Pierogi by Zuza Zak – Cookbook Giveaway
- zeeenie on New European Baking – Cookbook & Emile Henry Bread Cloche Giveaway and Quick Bites
- ebs on Jenny’s Best Books of 2022 and Cookbook Gift Guide with Giveaway
- Maryd8822 on Holiday Cookies & Cocktails Giveaway
- Maryd8822 on Cassoulet Confessions Book Giveaway
- Maryd8822 on Pasta Grannies Comfort Cooking – Cookbook Giveaway
- Maryd8822 on Pierogi by Zuza Zak – Cookbook Giveaway
- Maryd8822 on The Cocktail Cabinet Cookbook Giveaway & Quick Bites