Magazines to read in OctoberOctober 1, 2017 by Darcie
Jenny provides us all with excellent cookbook reviews each and every month. But what about magazines? While we diligently provide indexes for the major food publications, we haven’t yet been able to incorporate magazine reviews into the mix. Lucky for us, The Kitchn has done that (for US magazines) for the month of October.
This review comes to us via a new column on The Kitchn written by Zach Patton and Clay Dunn of indexed blog The Bitten Word. Zach and Clay understand that it can be difficult to decide which magazines are worth purchasing, and that you can get into a boring routine if you subscribe to just one or two publications. They want to make it easy for us, so each month they are “going to sift through a pile of the latest food magazines” and let us know which one offers the best recipes and articles.
This month the pair have chosen Better Homes & Gardens Halloween issue as the standout. “There’s a lot to love in BHG’s October issue,” claim Zach and Clay. First off, Dorie Greenspan is offering fall baking recommendations, which in itself is enough to convince me to buy the magazine. Other articles captured the pair’s fancy as well, including one on how to utilize an often-overlooked ingredient: celery.
In addition to highly recommending Better Homes & Gardens, Zach and Clay think that October’s Bon Appétit and Garden & Gun have some great writeups. The former has an excellent feature on the difference between “entertaining” and “having people over for dinner,” while the latter provides a useful guide to the South’s Best Food Towns.
- sir_ken_g on Everything’s coming up ube
- coryphaeus on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- coryphaeus on Ayla – Cookbook Giveaway
- vinochic on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- MarciK on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- vinochic on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- vinochic on Ayla – Cookbook Giveaway
- chromiumman on Ayla – Cookbook Giveaway
- chromiumman on Cinnamon and Salt by Emiko Davies – Cookbook Giveaway
- chromiumman on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway