Tis’ the Season to be Baking … Flour Everywhere La la la laDecember 17, 2016 by Jenny
The holiday season is hectic enough and what do we do – we add to that madness by making impossible demands upon ourselves. One year I made over twenty varieties of cookies for my cookie trays to give to neighbors. At that time my son was a toddler and I was hosting Christmas dinner at my house for our family. Yes, I was so much younger then.
I am now kinder to myself in my expectations. My list this year meets somewhere in the middle of totally doable and reasonably ridiculous. Italian rainbow cookies, orange cardamom cookies, eggnog shortbread, a variety of brownies, bourbon pecan blondies, a selection of fudge, chocolate chip cookies, candied nuts, peanut butter kisses and cut-out sugar cookies. I plan to start baking on Monday and cross your fingers I don’t just break out the eggnog too early.
The various newspaper annual holiday cookie contests are one of my addictions along with these cookie books which can be downloaded at no cost that my friend, Tina sends me every year. She who dies with the most cookie recipes wins.
Our Online Recipe function delivers almost 8,500 cookie recipes alone! My post today is a compilation of links to cookie recipe collections, newspaper contests and more. If you have a link to share, please comment here and I’ll update the post.
The Washington Post cookie generator allows you to type in a few ingredients and then provides you with a cookie recipe. That sounds familiar.
Stella Parks’ fantastic article at Serious Eats and recipe for the best rolled sugar cookie will have you ditching your tried and true version and trying hers (and her pie crust piece is great, too!) Trust me, you order her book.
Washington Post cookie article
Los Angeles Times cookie contest
Palm Beach Post cookie contest
Columbus Dispatch cookie collection
Journal Sentinel cookie contest
Baltimore Sun cookie contest
Dallas News cookie contest
Post Crescent cookie contest
St. Cloud Times cookie contest
The Coloradoan cookie contest
Dayton Daily News cookie contest
Finger Lake Times cookie contest
C and G Newspapers cookie contest
Jacksonville cookie contest
The Denver Post cookie favorites
Bob’s Red Mill United States of Cookies
Happy Baking! Photo of the platter of cookies is mine from about a year ago.
- angiejackson on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- MarciK on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- MarciK on The Lodge at Black Pearl Cookbook – Worldwide Giveaway
- kennethjohngilmour on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- CatsintheKitchen on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- CatsintheKitchen on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Pamyoungvb on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Radu321 on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- virjeania on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Skamper on Sometimes the best things come in small packages