Everything’s better with butterJune 21, 2014 by Darcie
Butter is back. From gracing the cover of Time Magazine to starting new crazes (getting whipped into coffee), butter has returned to glory, overcoming its former reputation as one of the “bad fats.” Now indexed magazine Food & Wine sings the praises of butter with five unexpected foods we should be buttering.
The first item on Food & Wine’s list is smoked salmon. Skip the cream cheese and use softened butter instead; to give it more zip, add mustard and lemon zest to the butter. Next up, they recommend doubling down on dairy – using butter and cheese together. The magazine notes that “Gabrielle Hamilton serves brown bread that’s both buttered and topped with Garrotxa, a Catalonian goat’s milk cheese, at Prune in New York.” Tomato sauce takes the third slot. Adding butter “instead of olive oil in tomato sauce will smooth out the acidity of the tomatoes.” Radishes and burgers round out the list.
Of course for some of us, butter never fell from grace, and it’s heartening to see that the u-turn on butter has meant good news for the industry, particularly in Ireland. There, the main butter distributor, IDB, is finding it difficult to meet the increased demand for its flagship product, Kerrygold butter. Now IDB, “which markets nearly half of the national dairy output on behalf of dairy processors, has announced plans to build a new butter packing facility in Mitchelstown, Co Cork.”
What’s your favorite use for butter?
Photo by Darcie Boschee
- foodie16 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- LUmbro on Fine Cooking’s last issue
- Shelmar on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- janv on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- janv on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- FattyNaddy on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- dhiza on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- zeahund on The Wok by J. Kenji López-Alt Worldwide Cookbook Giveaway
- lauren424 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- JEWGAL777 on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway