The core of the matterFebruary 28, 2014 by Darcie
Ben & Jerry’s new ice cream flavors created a lot of buzz this week. Ever wanted two ice cream flavors and a swirl in one convenient container? Well, your dreams have now become a reality with Ben & Jerry’s Cores. While E! online claims that Ben and Jerry’s has “changed the ice cream game forever,” I’m not convinced this is an earth shattering development. After all, different flavors of ice cream sharing the same carton is nothing new. Neapolitan ice cream has been around since the 1870s, and having chunks of chocolate and swirls of caramel, fudge or fruit in ice cream is also old hat.
The flavor combinations of these cores are pretty standard as well, with vanilla, chocolate, fudge and caramel making their usual appearances. I think Ben & Jerry’s missed the boat by not marrying peanut butter ice cream to banana ice cream and sealing the union with a grape jelly core. It’s like they aren’t even trying. I must grudgingly admit, however, that the raspberry core appeals to me. That’s My Jam has chocolate and raspberry ice cream with fudge chips and a raspberry core.
So what do you think–are the new Cores a mind-blowing ice cream breakthrough? Has salted caramel jumped the shark? What combinations do you think would make this concept soar?
- foodie16 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- LUmbro on Fine Cooking’s last issue
- Shelmar on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- janv on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- janv on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- FattyNaddy on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- dhiza on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- zeahund on The Wok by J. Kenji López-Alt Worldwide Cookbook Giveaway
- lauren424 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- JEWGAL777 on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway