E-cookbooks: Love ’em or hate ’em?February 25, 2014 by Susie
I hear that every year, more e-cookbooks are published and sold. Yet few people I know seem to use them (even though everyone seems to use online recipes at some point or another). It occurred to me that maybe I just hadn’t put the question to people directly.
So, EYB members, how about you? Do you use e-cookbooks?
I’m thinking of taking the plunge and at least giving it a try, but right now I’m safely in the dithering stage. Here’s what I see as the pluses and minuses:
Advantages: There might be helpful videos, sidebars and tutorials I can click on or not. I’d be able to search the book without dealing with the index, plus the Post-it can’t fall off. I wouldn’t have to go hunting for the book on the bookshelves, since I always know where my tablet is. If I went on vacation somewhere, it’s weightless.
Disadvantages: I can think of a hundred ways the kitchen can hurt the tablet. (Though I understand you can put it in a ziploc bag for protection). It won’t be as easy to flip back and forth. I won’t easily be able to make notes. And I think I’ll have problems with the page layout, especially since my iPad is a mini.
Of course, having Eat Your Books bequeaths the search advantage to our physical cookbooks. And lots of people who aren’t EYB members seem to prefer digital versions of everything except cookbooks. What do you think? Are cookbooks just an exception?
- foodie16 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- LUmbro on Fine Cooking’s last issue
- Shelmar on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- janv on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- janv on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- FattyNaddy on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- dhiza on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- zeahund on The Wok by J. Kenji López-Alt Worldwide Cookbook Giveaway
- lauren424 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- JEWGAL777 on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway