Getting the inside scoop on the Food NetworkOctober 8, 2013 by Lindsay
There’s a new book out, From Scratch: Inside the Food Network by Allen Salkin, that describes the 20 years that the Food Network has been on. The Daily Meal has produced an interesting slideshow – 20 Surprising Facts about Food Network and Its Stars – that watchers may not be aware of. Here are five that we found especially interesting:
- Emeril Lagasse’s famous “Bam” originated when he had to wake up camera operators who were falling asleep from being overworked.
- Mario Batali, during one of his earliest shows, grated his knuckles badly and since there were no “do-overs” hid his hand by dunking it in a bowl of tomatoes and crushing them continuously.
- William Shatner (Captain Kirk from Star Trek) was the original host on Iron Chef – which was on another network.
- David Rosengarten, an early Food Network stalwart, was so forgotten that a staffer called him to ask whether he’d like to audition for The Next Food Network Star.
- In the original design for Chopped, the food would be served by a butler and fed at the end to a Chihuahua named Pico.
Photo of Mario Batali for Iron Chef promo
- artthecat on The Modern Hippie Table – Cookbook Prize Package
- Betsy77 on Jenny’s Best Books of 2022 and Cookbook Gift Guide with Giveaway
- janinex on The Complete Chinese Takeout Cookbook Giveaway
- sarahteertzah on Holiday Cookies & Cocktails Giveaway
- sarahteertzah on Eat Drink and Be Murray Cookbook Giveaway and Quick Bites
- sarahteertzah on 2022 Holiday Gift Guide & Giveaway
- renharvey on Jenny’s Best Books of 2022 and Cookbook Gift Guide with Giveaway
- kaityblueeyes on Jenny’s Best Books of 2022 and Cookbook Gift Guide with Giveaway
- ozfoodie on Jenny’s Best Books of 2022 and Cookbook Gift Guide with Giveaway
- Plutarch on Matt Lucas is leaving the GBBO