Four good reasons to eat chocolateMay 9, 2013 by Lindsay
Discussing chocolate is always appropriate, but never more so than approaching Mother’s Day. So here’s a shout out to The Daily Meal‘s article, Truth Behind 4 Chocolate Myths. By busting these myths, they produce even more reasons than you may already have for eating chocolate. Check out the article for the full details, here is a synopsis:
“Myth #1: Chocolate is bad for
Eaten in moderation, chocolate can be good for you. Flavanols – antioxidants that have been linked to heart health – aren’t just found in tea and red wine. Chocolate has them too, along with dietary fiber and assorted minerals.
Myth #2: Chocolate is an
Chocolate stands alongside oysters and asparagus as an alleged agent of sexual arousal. [We’re not so sure about this – but a gift of chocolate never hurts the mood.]
Myth #3: Chocolate causes acne
Even though mom said it for years, chocolate does not cause acne.
Myth #4: Chocolate is loaded with
Unless you’re consuming it in large quantities, chocolate isn’t likely to keep you up at night. Milk chocolate has about 12 milligrams of caffeine per serving, with dark chocolate clocking in at 20 milligrams to 40 milligrams per serving. To put that in perspective, an 8-ounce cup of coffee contains anywhere from 65 milligrams to 120 milligrams of caffeine.”
Of course it’s certainly no myth or secret that chocolate is the base for some of our best desserts and beverages, but don’t forget chocolate can make an appearance in savory dishes. As a gentle reminder, and for another way to consume this latest health food, check out these online recipes for Mexican mole sauce featuring chocolate.
And don’t forget to also continue to check out our Mother’s Day Pinterest page for more great Mother’s Day ideas and recipes.
Photo courtesy of The Daily Meal
- foodie16 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- LUmbro on Fine Cooking’s last issue
- Shelmar on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- janv on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway
- janv on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- FattyNaddy on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- dhiza on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- zeahund on The Wok by J. Kenji López-Alt Worldwide Cookbook Giveaway
- lauren424 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- JEWGAL777 on Your Daily Veg Cookbook Giveaway