Some of the best food moments in moviesApril 16, 2013 by Lindsay
Awhile ago we published a blog on The best food movies and movie scenes, which proved to be quite popular. We had a lot of nice responses from our readers about their favorite scenes, including the escargot moment in Pretty Woman, the Solent Green jelly moment, and this scene from Tampopo. So when we saw this blog on Serious Eats, Staff Picks: Our Favorite Food Moments in Movies we thought you might be interested in seeing what they had to say. Among their favorites?
- The spaghetti scene in Lady and the Tramp
- The ratatouille scene in the movie of the same name
- The food fight scene in Hook
- The restaurant scene in Manhattan
and several from less well known films.
While we’ll acknowledge that no scene can top the one from Lady and the Tramp, we do have a few more to add that we can think of off the cuff.
- Two scenes from Charades – The scene on the boat where Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant are eating dinner and suddenly Audrey isn’t hungry anymore – or when she tosses the ice cream on him.
- The bar scene in the original Star Wars – ditto the Himalayan bar scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- The dinner party in The Hobbit.
If you’re enjoying the topic, check out these cookbooks from the EYB library on food and movies. And by all means, contribute your own scenes. At some point, we can compile them all for the authoritative EYB list.
- Mignumi on Cinnamon and Salt by Emiko Davies – Cookbook Giveaway
- Mignumi on Lanka Food: Cookbook Giveaway
- Rinshin on Ya gotta keep ’em separated
- PatBarrett on Ayla – Cookbook Giveaway
- michelle666 on Lanka Food: Cookbook Giveaway
- ClaireHamilton on Ayla – Cookbook Giveaway
- humptybren on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Mignumi on Green Kitchen: Quick + Slow Cookbook Giveaway
- grumpygraham on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- DimensionAEB on Ayla – Cookbook Giveaway