Fall cookbook preview – here’s what’s comingAugust 23, 2012 by Lindsay
Eater has a two-part series on cookbooks to be published this fall – just in time to be added to holiday gift lists. They list numerous books in several categories, as either featured or honorable mentions. The categories include: Chef’s, Restaurants, & Other Famous Food Folks; Pastries, Bakeries, Sweets; American Regional; International; Booze; Famous Cookbook Authors; Television; Magazines, Newspapers, & Websites; the Blogs; Single Subjects; Meat; Vegetarian & Vegan; Memoirs, Histories, & Other Non-Fiction; and General/Misc. It’s a very comprehensive list.
Here’s their introduction – we hope you’ll find a few treasures to add to your libraries here at EYB:
“So what’s new for Fall? The big news is pastry chefs are getting their due: not only is Thomas Keller releasing a stunning Bouchon Bakery cookbook, co-written by pastry chef Sebastien Rouxel, but there are also books coming out by Hedy Goldsmith of Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink in Miami/Grand Cayman,Dahlia Bakery in Seattle, Brooklyn’s Liddabit and Baked bakeries, and many, many more. Hope you have a sweet tooth.
American regional cookbooks continue to branch out beyond the South with not one but two books on the food of Portland, Oregon, many books on West Coast food, a book on Montana ranch food, and even a book on Chinese food in Minnesota since the 19th century. As for international trends, look for books on Southeast Asian cuisine (Charles Phan’s Vietnamese Home Cooking, Naomi Duguid’s stellar Burma) and lots of books about Northern African and Middle Eastern food.
And as for design trends, again there are bunches of jacketless cookbookswith super matte photos – which unfortunately often has the effect of making photos look dull and even blurry instead of edgy. Just a little gloss, please? Also, there are a whopping eight cookbooks with exclamation marks in the titles (so you know people are super excited about them) and several books with black backgrounds. The chalkboard restaurant trend has made it to the printed page.
And now, without further ado, on to this year’s crop of Fall cookbooks.“
- Jow on The Lodge at Black Pearl Cookbook – Worldwide Giveaway
- Jow on Good & Sweet: Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- GrooveHeart on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- cassandralove on Another warning about self-cleaning ovens
- Starry_Joce on Cinnamon and Salt by Emiko Davies – Cookbook Giveaway
- Starry_Joce on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Starry_Joce on The Last Bite Cookbook Giveaway
- dafur on Michael Ruhlman mulls over whether food writing is important
- love2chow on Berber&Q: On Vegetables: Cookbook Giveaway
- love2chow on The Lodge at Black Pearl Cookbook – Worldwide Giveaway