15 need-to-know tomato tipsJuly 24, 2012 by Lindsay
For those of us in the summer months, fresh tomatoes are at their peak – making this article from The Kitchn, “15 Tips to Help You Get the Most Out of Your Tomatoes” particularly timely. Here’s their list, we hope you find something new:
- The best place to store tomatoes to keep them fresh and juicy.
- How to store leftover tomato slices.
- Got cherry tomatoes? Here’s how to cut a lot of cherry tomatoes in half all at once.
- The best kind of knife for slicing tomatoes.
- How to ripen still-green tomatoes.
- Love green tomatoes? Here are some recipes for green tomatoes.
- The best tool for crushing tomatoes – you almost certainly have one already!
- The scientific reason why conventional tomatoes are often so tasteless. Buy heirloom!
- Tips for making the best tomato sauce you’ve ever had.
- A great way to preserve tomatoes for sauce: Freeze them!
- Why a wide pan is best for making tomato sauce.
- Broiled, roasted tomatoes: Here’s how to roast tomatoes under the broiler.
- Tips and encouragement to help you can tomatoes this summer.
- Peeling tomatoes? Freeze them first to make peeling them a snap.
- How to identify real San Marzano tomatoes.
And don’t forget how easy it is to find recipes at EYB, whether in your cookbooks, magazines, or on line. Here’s a game plan to walk you through some of your options if you’re looking to use those tomatoes:
- Go to our Library
- On the top tab, click Recipes
- In the right hand box, under “Only show” find tomatoes (they’re in “vegetables” under “salad”) – and yes, we know that tomatoes are a fruit!
- This will bring up over 60,000 recipes with tomatoes as an ingredient.
- In the box to the right, you can further sort the results by author, date, etc. (we like “buzz” or “rating” as that brings up talked about or highly rated recipes).
- Finally, you can filter by book, online, or magazine recipes.
We hope this gets your creative juices flowing – and teaches you how to get even more out of your EYB membership. Bon appétit!
- Mignumi on Cinnamon and Salt by Emiko Davies – Cookbook Giveaway
- Mignumi on Lanka Food: Cookbook Giveaway
- Rinshin on Ya gotta keep ’em separated
- PatBarrett on Ayla – Cookbook Giveaway
- michelle666 on Lanka Food: Cookbook Giveaway
- ClaireHamilton on Ayla – Cookbook Giveaway
- humptybren on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- Mignumi on Green Kitchen: Quick + Slow Cookbook Giveaway
- grumpygraham on The Miller’s Daughter Quick Bites & Cookbook Giveaway
- DimensionAEB on Ayla – Cookbook Giveaway