Have airplane food, will travelFebruary 17, 2012 by Susie
It’s midwinter break, and every other year that means a trip to Arizona to see my favorite in-laws, Grandma and Grandpa B.
Unfortunately, it also means a long, cramped, economy flight with only two prospects: overpriced, mediocre snacks in the cabin, or overpriced, mediocre meals in the terminal. Although there is decent food in Dallas/Ft Worth terminal, where we’ll be passing through, it’s impractical to slog the everybody and their luggage through an airport the size of Manhattan.
Just for fun, I typed “airplane” into EYB’s recipe search, to see if our collective wisdom could yield up something worth making and packing. All I got was Amanda Hesser’s airplane salad, a recipe I recall from almost a decade ago, when the skies were still friendly enough to offer you a free (albeit unattractive) meal and the only issue was finding something better to eat. But the salad, a mélange of mackerel, bibb lettuce, and sherry vinegar, is really a treat for one lightly-encumbered traveler, not a harried, cranky family of 4.
So off I went to Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods and, friends, I bought the store. I got summer sausage and mozzarella, prosciutto, rice crackers, freeze-dried mango, and pistachios. All that remains is to slice everything up in advance, purchase a baguette, and remember not to pack my Swiss army knife.
It’s not cooking, but I think we’ll cope. If you’ve got tried-and-true treats for travel, I’d love to hear about them.
- All Posts (6193)
- Antipasto (1796)
- Author Articles (237)
- Book News (894)
- Cookbook Giveaways (880)
- Cookbook Lovers (242)
- Cooking Tips (89)
- Culinary News (289)
- Food Biz People (517)
- Food Online (719)
- Holidays & Celebrations (236)
- New Cookbooks (127)
- Recipes (1356)
- Shelf Life With Susie (231)
- What's New on EYB (121)
- sarahteertzah on Cookbook Giveaway: Baking by Feel
- rkosully on Cookbook Giveaway: RecipeTin Eats & Emile Henry oven; Quick Bites
- GiselleMarie on Too many (celebrity) cooks in the (TV) kitchen
- dnortje31 on Too many (celebrity) cooks in the (TV) kitchen
- cellenly on Cookbook/prize package giveaway: My Vermont Table
- cellenly on Cookbook Giveaway: The Kids Book of Challah
- tmjellicoe on Too many (celebrity) cooks in the (TV) kitchen
- roxlet on Cookbook Giveaway: RecipeTin Eats & Emile Henry oven; Quick Bites
- michalow on Giveaway: Hoppers: The Cookbook
- michalow on Cookbook Giveaway: On the Curry Trail & an Emile Henry stew pot