We Scream for Ice CreamJuly 5, 2010 by Susie
97 degrees – that’s the high today, and that’s here in New England. Even the most dedicated home cook has mixed feelings about cooking in weather like this. All I want to do is sit in a hammock with a book while someone brings me a cool drink once in a while. Or, better yet, a dish of ice cream.
Pretty much nothing compares with homemade ice cream in the summer. I tend to make just two kinds: mint chocolate chip and cherry chocolate chip. But when I just have to visit new frontiers in frozen dessert, I go to one of my two favorite sources: A Passion for Ice Cream, by Emily Luchetti, or The Perfect Scoop, by David Lebovitz.
The Perfect Scoop is what you might call a dictionary of ice cream recipes–most of them slightly tweaked and twisted from your everyday flavors: basil ice cream, say, or white chocolate ice cream, or my favorite, malted milk ice cream.
Emily Luchetti’s book, on the other hand, is ice-cream-plus: in every recipe ice cream’s just the basement of a 2 or 3-story house. It might be the start of a milkshake, or a cake, or an ice cream sandwich. None of us lives a life full of certainty, but one thing I can tell you is that just as soon as I had had my first bite of Frozen Key Lime Pie with Crushed Sugar Cone Crust and Macadamia Nut Cream, I pretty much felt I had completed what I came here to do. And during these lazy, hot, summer days, you really can’t ask for a feeling better than that.
- agreaves19 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- emi10383 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- Dendav on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- Nanaree04 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- Spud13 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- Sand9 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- jenlhawes on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway
- LoBlom on Food news antipasto
- PhillipJD on The Cake Book – Cookbook Giveaway
- bookmark58 on Snackable Bakes Cookbook Giveaway